Blue Clone 6.5 idle issue....

I put am putting together an ARCO with a blue greyhound 6.5. I can not get it to idle down to where the clutch is not engaging slightly. It is a Max-torque Clutch. If left on the kick stand it will creep away from you.

So far I have attempted to run the engine without the twist throttle attached, loosened the nut that holds the throttle lever on the engine, checked the rod and governor spring, checked for vacuum leaks, swapped the air filter with a new one, adjusted the little plastic idle screw out all the way, moved the governor spring over a hole on the arm, tightened the clutch allen set screw and replaced the woodruff key, I am grasping at straws.

What am I missing here??? :shrug: Idle jet dirty?

This may be a silly question but are you sure it is the idle , if the chain is to tight and the clutch bushing is not lubed they will creep too.
Rob

This may be a silly question but are you sure it is the idle , if the chain is to tight and the clutch bushing is not lubed they will creep too.
Rob
BigRob I'll check that this evening. I thought about the clutch, but only because I used a Max-torque and not a Hilliard extreme. I did put a little oil on the bushing before mounting the clutch but I'll recheck it.

The engine does seem to idle high to me though so Ill swap out my carb with one I had cleaned up to be jetted, but now I have another area to check as well. Thanks.

Last edited:
Carb swapped this morning. I tried it this evening, no change. Rechecked linkages, Cable, return springs, gaskets??? Still seems like its idled high. Maybe I am used to the Predators or Briggs.

Last edited:
Okay, I bought some carb gaskets, a whole $3.10

I'll swap them out tonight and we'll see what happens... :hammer:

NOTHING! Swapped gaskets tonight, it needed them but it did not solve the high idle. Maybe these blue clone engines just idle higher than a Briggs or higher than I am used to. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Last edited: