Boat trailer failed. Wheels came off.

Sorry but thats a lack of maintenance issue. You get something cheap from china you have to replace anything "wear" with quality parts as soon as you can. This is from somebody that has no problem buying crappy harbor freight stuff, I have one of their mills, lathes, bandsaw, and many other junk. You always have to go through it and replace stuff like bearings or bushings. You know they are cutting those costs when you buy it.

BWL

Lack of maintenance, small wheels or not, it doesn't matter at this point. I'm done with this. I bought this trailer because that was all I could afford, but considering the total cost of the trailer--$580+--, I would have been far better off buying a better trailer. Add in the cost of making all those upgrades, and it would have been cheaper to buy a better quality product.

I had not had much experience with Harbor Freight at the time I bought this. If this series videos helps other o make a better decision--better tire, bearings, bunks, or just deciding to buy a different trailer altogether, then the video has accomplished it purpose.

[video=youtube;5ITjIQuTlLg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ITjIQuTlLg[/video]

Last edited:
My boat trailer is a piece of junk I built when I was 16 out of scrap and throw away junk. I said it was only until I could afford a "store bought" fancy one.

Years, many repairs, and many mods later its better built with more features than any I've seen and wouldn't trade it for anything. Right now I'm collecting more scrap and throw away to built a mini me version of it for the 10 foot boat I just got.

When you do go get your new trailer I suggest when you get it home before a boat even gets on it to clean the bearings and repack them with good marine grease. Even still as soon as the purchase sting wears a bit replace those bearings with known quality parts. Those McClain trailers are built to make money and the most of it as they can. You still are gonna see cost cutting measures to maximize that by using the lowest cost parts as they can. It wouldn't surprise me one bit the wear parts on it come straight out of the same factory as HF get their parts for their trailers.

Last edited:

BWL

Neo, the McClain trailer come with Dexter EZ Lube zerks that lube both the inner and outer bearings. Not too bad for cutting cost: [video=youtube;XT0RKDGgDm8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT0RKDGgDm8[/video]

ols, It would be nice to have a sail loft where I could build boats, then open the doors and roll right down to the lake. Until then I'll have to do the best I can with what I have.

Last edited: