Bonanza Brotherhood..Before and After pictures but now need everyones help...

Bonanza Before and After pictures but need some help...

Ok, first I am sorry to all of you that did not want me to put this engine on this bike.

I promise, no Bonanza was damaged or hurt in order to fit this engine in there. I used the existing holes that were in the bike when I purchased it. Check out the pictures.

So, quickly not probably mentioning everything, sanded to metal, self etch primered, metalcast ground coat, metal cast blue, sanded rear springs gloss coated, refinished wheels, had seat professionally redone, new tires, tubes throttle brake pads, lots more. Was really fun to do.

I was so excited when I got this thing done but then on the first run I didn't go anywhere. Glad I was by myself because to everyone else it would have been really funny.. ok lets get to my problems now.

This is what I did to the engine.. I took out the gov, installed straight pipe, air filter, adapter and drilled out the main jet. probably should have ran it before I drilled out the jet but didn't oh well.

Intalled new 1" bore Hillard extreme duty clutch 41 chain 17t

Problems having.. First I'm barely moving. The shafts are fine and are not slipping. Second at 3/4 throttle the engine starts to stall out. The choke can not be closed the entire way without it stalling out.

So it is a brand new clutch. Is it the gear ratio? 17T aligned with 19 or 20 first jack shaft sprocket.. small, big, small, big to rear sprocket? I guess I didnt do that right..? So I'm going to switch to 10t.

Does anyone know if you can switch out the drive sprocket from 17t to 10t on this model clutch?

Thank you for any help you can provide...

Last edited:
You mean you can't open/take off the choke without it stalling? What does the plug look like? Does it idle okay?
Also, there is a gear ratio calculator stickied at the top of the engine forum. Plug your info in there including tire circumference. Depending what kind of riding you do, I'd look for a 6.5:1 to 7:1 final drive.

You mean you can't open/take off the choke without it stalling? What does the plug look like? Does it idle okay?
Also, there is a gear ratio calculator stickied at the top of the engine forum. Plug your info in there including tire circumference. Depending what kind of riding you do, I'd look for a 6.5:1 to 7:1 final drive.
It idles great. I can't put the choke completely off when it is hot. It idles find when I turn the choke about 3/4 of the way off when it is hot. I have not taken the plug out. I will do that tonight and let you guys know. I will check out the gear ratio now.. Going to just be riding around the hood, I think I should get a silencer though, sounds like my neighbors harley. Good thing he has a harley..

So gear ratio is probably the problem right? I should have got a clutch with the smaller sprocket, half the size if it would be possible.... 10t? Is that the smallest they make?

Sounds like more than one issue. In you can't run the engine without the choke, MY GUESS is that it is jetted incorrectly. If you want to change gear ratios, I would try different Jackshaft gearing in the calculator till you find the desired ratio.

So gear ratio is probably the problem right? I should have got a clutch with the smaller sprocket, half the size if it would be possible.... 10t? Is that the smallest they make?
With those big tires it looks like you need a bigger sprocket on the rear wheel and a smaller sprocket on the jackshaft that goes to the rear wheel. Most of the time if you have to run with the choke on, it's running to lean.

george3

Get the engine running rite then worry about the gear ratio. Your handle bars need to be in line with the forks or your handeling will suck. down size the clutch sprocket to 12 tooth in a 35 chain or less in a 40 chain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. So I'll drill out the jet to the next size and try that out first. Can I change out the sprocket that is actually on the new clutch? If so who sells these for a 1" hillard clutch?

george3

Thanks for the advice. So I'll drill out the jet to the next size and try that out first. Can I change out the sprocket that is actually on the new clutch? If so who sells these for a 1" hillard clutch?
1" shaft? you will have to do like Ed mentioned a larger rear sprocket. the sprocket that drives the rear sprocket if you go too small the chain will rub the swing arm.

Last edited: