Bonanza CR500

mopar70

Here's my latest find. Thanks for the ID in the What is it section.

Of all places I found it on FaceBook. It was in a local buy sell trade section. Now what to do with it? It is too small for me LOL. I'll most likely keep it for a bit and then sell it of trade it off. How knows, you might see it at Windber:innocent:
It looks like it has a few rewelds and he tac welded the sissy bar to the frame (to tighten it up) but other than that it looks good. Nothing that can't be undone.

But on a side note, shouldn't thit have come with an Ace 100 in it?

Last edited:
cr400 also had jackshaft plates and no jackshaft....doesnt make it a Hodaka bike.
ok :bowdown:so what was the deal that some had them and others dont :shrug: were kit ones with out the plates and the other factory had them ?

you have a pic of the motor mount plate as wasnt there a difference in the plates from the 500 and 400 ?

Correction..cr400 didnt have jackshaft plates..cr410 did..so did the cr500. I do know the engine plate is different between the Hodaka models and the Tecs. I had a Hodaka roller for awhile..but sold it cause I couldnt find an original "E" code motor. I also sold my CR410 to a forum member last year...so no further pics. I am sure an authority like Don will chime in soon enough with full details.

I have seen Choppers with two different styles of motor plates also. The first and most common is the motor plate with muitl sets of slotted holes TYP to bonanza. The second and only seen a few, a flat plate with just one set of holes for a tec style motor, all of the chopper with this style have no jackshaft mounts. Like it was said before there are no way to tell if a bonanza was powered by a hodaka engine unless it has the signs of it. Like the two worn areas on the motor plate where the hodaka mounts would sit. Another is the " L " bracket for the coil on some models and sometimes the exhaust hanger is left behind from the hodaka exhaust. Other than that the frames are mostly generic!

Here's a photo of the bottom of the motor plate and the jackshaft

It looks like it was orange before. so did the CR500 come in both a HS50 and a ACE 100?

The CR-500 only came with a hodaka motor but the same exact frame chopper came with a 4 hp tec and it was called a CR-410. The motor option made the bike model, the frame didnt. The CR-400 was the same 4 hp tec with no jackstaft.

So it all comes down to what motor you put into it then. Very cool. I think down the road, i'll sell it or trade it for the right Taco. I might take the wheels off it this weekend and bead blast them with my Indian tins. We'll see how frogie I get

Bill is an expert and he is good for knowing everything there is to know about Bonanzas.I learned a few things I did not know. Again I only know enough to be dangerous.

I think down the road, i'll sell it or trade it for the right Taco. I might take the wheels off it this weekend and bead blast them with my Indian tins.
Please, please, please, don't blast the wheels, especially if you are going to sell it.

I can't tell you how many wheels I've gotten that the previous owner blasted......just made em worse, especially if I wanna polish them:no:. It just makes more work.

Last edited:
Please, please, please, don't blast the wheels, especially if you are going to sell it.

I can't tell you how many wheels I've gotten that the previous owner blasted......just made em worse, especially if I wanna polish them:no:. It just makes more work.
What would you use to remove the black paint off the front wheel?

I have some aircraft stripper I might try. It should be safe on the metal. Little cold out side right now. We just got 4 inches of snow last night!!