bonanza tractor?

toomanytoys

The logo on your lawn tractor is for General Appliance Manufacturing. Probably from about 1970. The pickup box rear fenders were one of their features. They made lawn tractors with names such as Bonanza, Lawn Lion , Maverick, Mustang, Grass Hound, Country Squire, etc. They also made the Bonanza Mini Dune Buggy mowers and Trail Horse mini bikes. They were taken over by Arctic Enterprises in the early 70s.

Seems interesting. Anyone confirm that?

Last edited:
The logo on your lawn tractor is for General Appliance Manufacturing. Probably from about 1970. The pickup box rear fenders were one of their features. They made lawn tractors with names such as Bonanza, Lawn Lion , Maverick, Mustang, Grass Hound, Country Squire, etc. They also made the Bonanza Mini Dune Buggy mowers and Trail Horse mini bikes. They were taken over by Arctic Enterprises in the early 70s.

Seems interesting. Anyone confirm that?
I need glasses but I gotta say the GA logo looks smilar to an allis chalmers logo, AC also made a Bonanza lawn tractor but it looked more like a jeep with a mower deck. The GA Bonanza looks like a nice rider, I need a vintage rider for my big yard and am searching for the right one. I have a 1950 Ferguson with a brushhog for my field but it's a bit large for my fenced in area.

Vintage? I have just the mower for you! You have to be a real Man's Man to drive this out of the shed. Don't forget your cardigan sweater too. Who at Arctic thought a line of pastel purple mowers would ever sell? :doah:

By the way, check out the seat and rear fenders on this model. Looks identical to the one you were looking at. Different hood and possibly front end, but very similar back end. Could be the missing link. If Arctic took over GA, these components appear to have come with the acquisition, along with the idea to make mowers.

toomanytoys

My dream vintage tractor is the heald mower. Only seen one, for sale in michigan!

Pretty sweet machine, ties my minibikes and tractors into one.

I mostly collect Cubs, Economy kings, had a speedex, and a few other odds and ends. I like tractors from the 60s and 70s

I helped a relative get an old 70's Wheel Horse going a few years ago. Heavy duty, Farmall red, Kohler engine...it was really cool. I suggested they restore it. Heard later they had problems getting it started last year so they just sent it to the junkyard when they cleaned out their barn. Argh!

AC also made a Bonanza lawn tractor but it looked more like a jeep with a mower deck.
As far as I know Allis Chalmers never made a Bonanza lawn tractor. The other forum I belong to is SimpletrACtors.com which is a Simplicity and Allis Chalmers tractor site and discussion forum. You might be thinking of a "Roof Palomino" tractor which looks exactly like a mini Jeep with a mower deck.

Last edited:
By the way, check out the seat and rear fenders on this model. Looks identical to the one you were looking at. Different hood and possibly front end, but very similar back end. Could be the missing link. If Arctic took over GA, these components appear to have come with the acquisition, along with the idea to make mowers.

I believe you are right. Looks like Arctic Cat used lots of left overs from General Appliance/ General Parts Co. I'm sure you've seen this brochure page before. Kind of makes you wonder. Which came first, the Arctic Cat bikes or these Ez Riders.

Here is an actual bike that was for sale at one time in Illinois.

There was also one parted out on ebay a year or so ago. The frame had a General Parts tag on it. I thought I saved a picture of it but I can't find it.

Last edited:
An SSSCat with different forks!

In the early 80's, I used to buy NOS Arctic parts from a then small supplier here in Omaha called General Parts. I still have their name and old phone number written in my Prowler owners manual. I didn't know who they were at the time. My dad would take me to this little non-descript industrial bay with a tiny office and front counter. We'd ask for specific parts and if we were lucky, the lady would bring out some dusty old thing. They only had a few parts left at that point.

I have an email into an acquaintance here in Omaha whose dad was one of the design engineers for all the Arctic bike models. I'll ask him to clarify the whole history and time-line of AC, GA, GP, GL and any mower connection between them all. If anyone knows it, he does.

toomanytoys

An SSSCat with different forks!

In the early 80's, I used to buy NOS Arctic parts from a then small supplier here in Omaha called General Parts. I still have their name and old phone number written in my Prowler owners manual. I didn't know who they were at the time. My dad would take me to this little non-descript industrial bay with a tiny office and front counter. We'd ask for specific parts and if we were lucky, the lady would bring out some dusty old thing. They only had a few parts left at that point.

I have an email into an acquaintance here in Omaha whose dad was one of the design engineers for all the Arctic bike models. I'll ask him to clarify the whole history and time-line of AC, GA, GP, GL and any mower connection between them all. If anyone knows it, he does.
That would be really interesting to know.

I know there was also the full line of gilson tractors, and other yard equipment. Then their mini bike line.

The more I think about it, I think that Illinois bike had to be either '70 or early '71. It had new style foot peg mounts and old style pre-recall under mount fuel TANK, unless this is a Frankenbike. Hard to see fine detail in the Ad to know for sure.

Whether minibikes or mowers, there seemed to be a lot of cross contamination of parts and intermingling of companies and product lines. As fast as the craze blew up, it collapsed. Sad.

My dream vintage tractor is the heald mower. Only seen one, for sale in michigan!

Pretty sweet machine, ties my minibikes and tractors into one.

I mostly collect Cubs, Economy kings, had a speedex, and a few other odds and ends. I like tractors from the 60s and 70s
Is this close what you are talking about?