Bought a used mini bike with H35 engine. Won't start, what to try 1st?

i bought a used minibike with an H35 45488k engine. I wouldn't start but i figured i'd fix it myself. I tried putting come carb cleaner directly in the spark plug hole, and it started and ran for about 10 seconds but now i can't get it to start or run. What steps would i go through to troubleshoot it? The previous owner said its been sitting for years.

Most likely will need a new carb, or at the very least a carb rebuild, if it sat with gas in the carb. The idle circuit gets plugged easily when gas sits in them for a while. A check ball sticks. That's a good little engine.

Put a new plug on the plug wire and lay it on the head. Pull the rope. You should get a nice bright white/blue spark. You surely have good spark if it started on carb cleaner.

Im sure your spark is fine if she started. I would pull that carb off and tear it apart clean it very good make sure its not plugged up anywhere and keep an eye out for bad parts.

ok thanks guys. One question... i'm very new to this type of engine. What is this part shown in the picture that i have a red arrow pointing to?? Some type of adjustment for the carb id assume.

Is there a repair manual or diagram available showing what everything is?

i borrowed a member pic for this.

Thanks

Last edited:
ok thanks guys. One question... i'm very new to this type of engine. What is this part shown in the picture that i have a red arrow pointing to?? Some type of adjustment for the carb id assume.

Is there a repair manual or diagram available showing what everything is?

i borrowed a member pic for this.

Thanks
That's the choke lever.
In the pic,thats the RUN position. All the way foward is choking it.

I said in THE PICTURE that is in the run position. If that is the run position, you can't push it back any further. Pushing the lever counterclockwise will choke it.

i should have known it was the choke. i was thinking that or the gov but couldn't remember which one. :doah: it's been awhile since i've had an older Tecumseh.

i should have known it was the choke. i was thinking that or the gov but couldn't remember which one. :doah: it's been awhile since i've had an older Tecumseh.
we all make mistakes its just admitin we did thats makes us tru bikers lol
man that engine in the pic is so nice its amazing man i wish i had one of the tec in stead of the ohv models with shity plastic camshafts:thumbdown:

so i removed the carb, and other than a pea sized black blob that i removed, it looked pretty clean. Doused it with some carb cleaner and reinstalled; still no start. I Did the whole remove plug, add teaspoon of gas into the spark plug hole, reinstalled spark plug and wire and like yesterday, it starts and runs for 5-6 seconds then dies. I tried a few times and each time it only ran for 5 seconds or so. Could it still be something in the carb that i can't see causing this, or would i generally see a bunch of gunk everywhere?

thanks

Last edited:
For one quit dumping stuff down the engine. :doah:

Spray a dash starter fluid in the carb instead.

Go to the library and get a manual, there are two holes on the bolt that screws to the bottom of your carb (float bowl) look for the large and tinny hole by the threads and clean them out with a strand of copper speaker wire. Then re test with air cleaner off and maybe a shot of starter fluid.

You will want to change your oil too, straight 30W, fill tell it comes up near the filler hole.

oldfatguy

This may sound like a dumb question but are you sure that you are getting gas to the carb???check for a stuck float needle valve,also check the tank fuel outlet and fuel line they can clog up sometimes. Put some gas in the tank with the fuel bowl off to flush out the tank and see if the gas makes it to the carb. Once you have fuel in the bowl,close the choke and hold the throttle open slightly and pull the starter it should start.If there is a problem with the carb it may only run with the choke is closed.