Brake Conversion

I have a minibike that uses a rear scrub braking system and it feels a little precarious to me. My kids are new to minibike riding and I'm thinking it would be safer for them if I added a band/drum brake to stock rear steel wheel with a handbrake. They can ride a bike and are used to using handbrakes so I think this would be a more secure braking set-up for them.

Has anybody done this? It seems like something like this could be done relatively simply. I think the wheels are 5". Any thoughts about this?

125ccCrazy

Depending on what style wheel you have there are drums in a couple sizes and bolt patterns available...I'd definately put the brake on the wheel, the clutch brakes work good like Ratbike posted above but if the chain pops, No brakes.....plus the brake on the wheel is better on the chain...

SpyGuy

Ratbike, is that band brake a kit? I'm looking to add a different brake to my newly-purchased (and identified) K&S Hornet. It came with a scrub, but I don't feel it works well enough. A couple of people mentioned clutch brakes like this.

Ratbike

Ratbike, is that band brake a kit? I'm looking to add a different brake to my newly-purchased (and identified) K&S Hornet. It came with a scrub, but I don't feel it works well enough. A couple of people mentioned clutch brakes like this.
No its not a kit. I built it myself. It is very simple though. Build a template out of cardboard by pressing the card board against the side of your motor and drill holes in the indentations. Then mark on a metal plate(1/8")thick,drill holes for the mounting bolts and one for the brake bolt in the metal plate. Try it once yourself and you find it to be pretty easy and it doesn't have to be perfect as long as the mounting bolts are good and snug. Drill and an angle grinder to cut the plate are all that is needed, or a local welding shop can even cut and drill the plate for you very inexpensively.:hammer: PM me if you need more help.

delray

when i built a bike for my stepson i added a scrub brake and also had a drum brake on it.thinking the scrub brake would be a secondary thing to use? after building it and the kid riding, only thing he likes using is the scrub brake.it's alot easyer for him to brake the bike with his weight of his foot then trying to stop it with his hand.:rolleyes: i would still install a secondary brake. just stay away from the Asuza drum brakes. they stop like a train..........

Ratbike

when i built a bike for my stepson i added a scrub brake and also had a drum brake on it.thinking the scrub brake would be a secondary thing to use? after building it and the kid riding, only thing he likes using is the scrub brake.it's alot easyer for him to brake the bike with his weight of his foot then trying to stop it with his hand.:rolleyes: i would still install a secondary brake. just stay away from the Asuza drum brakes. they stop like a train..........

That has been my experience also...

SpyGuy

Doing the mounting plate shouldn't be a problem, but I was more wondering about the band itself. I think I have some thin steel I can use for that, and bend it around a jig .... Are those ends rolled around the mounting pins?

I have a minibike that uses a rear scrub braking system and it feels a little precarious to me. My kids are new to minibike riding and I'm thinking it would be safer for them if I added a band/drum brake to stock rear steel wheel with a handbrake. They can ride a bike and are used to using handbrakes so I think this would be a more secure braking set-up for them.

Has anybody done this? It seems like something like this could be done relatively simply. I think the wheels are 5". Any thoughts about this?
Before you commit to changing anything try some skateboard deck material or grip tape on the scrub pad, my daughter's Bird Wren had the same issue and I was concerned as well! I put some on it and it will stop on a dime now the adhesive is pretty agressive so it'll last, but if you do need supplemental braking consider the clutch brake or something that does'nt require hacking up your minibike! Good Luck!

Ratbike

Doing the mounting plate shouldn't be a problem, but I was more wondering about the band itself. I think I have some thin steel I can use for that, and bend it around a jig .... Are those ends rolled around the mounting pins?
Yes, but you can get a band brake like Harley papa said with brake lining pretty cheap on OldMiniBikes.com ... you will need a 4" band brake.:hammer:

Awesome .. thanks for the info, Ratbike, and thank you for the link, Papa. I feel more secure using a handbrake than I do a footbrake, considering everything else I have is all stopped by handbrakes.