Briggs 3hp Carb Adjustments

sam

I have an older style carb Briggs 3hp. The type of carb with the pullout choke. The motor ran alright at times and would just idle at other times. I put on a new gasket where the carb mounts to the block. Ran it around and seemed the same with good and bad running. Cleaned and adjusted the only adjusting screw I could find on the carb, I think it was the high speed jet. Removed all the fuel yesterday from the tank and got some rust on a paper towel. Put new fuel in it and runs pretty well but still revs up to full speed and then bogs and just idles, let off the throttle and it give it throttle again and it takes off. I did this 3 times in about 200 feet. It is mounted to my Pack Mule so I can not get far fast. Any suggestions would be great.

I currently have two Briggs 3hp engines, and both have problems with the high speed fuel passage plugging up...

I try to keep the fuel tanks as clean as possible...any grit gets sucked right up into the carb...

I also use a spray-type carb cleaner every so often...

just for thought unscrew high speed needle all the way out look to see if small brass washer and :scooter: rubber oring are there in jet assembly also threaded aluminum nut that needle screws into should have fibre washer in place to seal once out look straight into carb youll see brass jet that screws in take out with screwdriver spray inside carb and through jet reinstall in reverse just some thoughts brian....