briggs 5hp motor help

I just picked up this motor yesterday and it came just the way it sits. The motor is a runner it fires right up. Now I know I'm missing an air filter, can some one help me out and direct me on where to get the parts I need and if I'm missing anything else feel free to tell me....

I really like those cone filters that almost everyone has but I don't know if they will work on this motor.... please help

Thanks for the super fast help on the filter situation.....

I have another question before I throw this on my frame I want to clean it up and make it look good any tips on what to do also how do I change the oil and what oil does it need....

Any tips will be good, I'm new to the small engine world so I got a lot to learn....

DMR

Thanks for the super fast help on the filter situation.....

I have another question before I throw this on my frame I want to clean it up and make it look good any tips on what to do also how do I change the oil and what oil does it need....

Any tips will be good, I'm new to the small engine world so I got a lot to learn....
I take a shop towel and spray it with some WD40 to wipe down and clean the engine, it works really well on the flywheel shroud/pull starter. For oil use 30 Weight engine oil, Pensoil HD30 is good. On the front of the engine there is a square drain plug near the base (for draining oil) to fill the oil there is a little plastic cap on the front-left-side of the engine near the base. If you cant find the drain and fill plug I will provide some pics for you.

I take a shop towel and spray it with some WD40 to wipe down and clean the engine, it works really well on the flywheel shroud/pull starter. For oil use 30 Weight engine oil, Pensoil HD30 is good. On the front of the engine there is a square drain plug near the base (for draining oil) to fill the oil there is a little plastic cap on the front-left-side of the engine near the base. If you cant find the drain and fill plug I will provide some pics for you.
Thanks for the tip....

I have another question on the exhaust it looks a little smashed or is that's how its supposed to be....

i like to reset thge airgap on the armature and clean up the contact points on the flywheel and armature, on every motor i get. you want to do this by removing the pull start shroud. next you want to to turn the flywheel to expose the magnet and clean with a scratch pad or really fine sandpaper. next you want to loosen the two bolts on the armature. then you can use a dollar bill to gap the flywheel and armature, place the bill in between the contact points on the armature and flywheel. next turn the flywheel until the magnet is lined up with the armature contact points.(keeping the bill in between the contact points). finally tighten the armature bolts and rotate the flywheel to remove the bill. know you're air gap is really tight and should be set great!

Would I be able to throw one of those cool looking header exhaust pipes on it? Where could I get one....

What kind of clutch should I get? The shaft is 3/4" and about 2 1/4" long there is a key slot on it. Does a standard clutch with set screws work?

Also what kind of motor is this?

Last edited:
a header for a 5hp will work agk.com sells them as do nr-racing.com among others. clutch depends on what ya want to do max torque clutches work well for me. its a 5hp flatty what are the model #'s ? ill look it up in my book

max torque clutches work very well. i recently bought a hillard extreme duty clutch for my 6.5 clone, and i am very impressed with it. the price is a little higher but i feel it's well worth the extra money. yes a header would work and also increase hp and sounds really cool! i would clean up the carb really good too if ya ain't planning on putting on a different one.

a header for a 5hp will work agk.com sells them as do nr-racing.com among others. clutch depends on what ya want to do max torque clutches work well for me. its a 5hp flatty what are the model #'s ? ill look it up in my book
I'll get the number asap, I checked out those sites you mentioned an I don't get the page all I see is for clones or hondas. Could you get me a link to the exact one I'd need...

Thanks so much

max torque clutches work very well. i recently bought a hillard extreme duty clutch for my 6.5 clone, and i am very impressed with it. the price is a little higher but i feel it's well worth the extra money. yes a header would work and also increase hp and sounds really cool! i would clean up the carb really good too if ya ain't planning on putting on a different one.
Where would I find a new carb at or how would I clean this one up...

Thanks

well, depends on wat you want to do. you could remove the carb and buy a new gasket set for the carb then clean the carb i a carb cleaner colvent. you can pick this solvent up in tractor supply stores or similar places. it comes in a gallon can which has a basket inside of it to submerse the carb in. or you could go with a mikuni carb or tillston carb, but then you're getting into some cash there. if you go the route of buying a non briggs carb then you will have to get a new tank that mounts to the frame of your bike as well. but the advantage of this is gaining more gas flow and air flow and with a header also you will gain much more hp. if not just cleaning your original carb will be just fine. all depends on wat you are lookng gain out of all this. on a side note i would remove the head and clean up any black carbon on the valves and piston head. briggs recomends you do this in ther repair manual every so often. the head has a metal gasket so as long as you dont break it upon removall you should be fine to reuse it. any other questions feel free to ask anytime

try BMI karts and supplies for a header, they have a bunch of different styles for briggs and not to bad of prices as well.

Click for larger image
Briggs & Stratton Trumpet 4 Cycle Pipe

Briggs & Stratton Trumpet 4 Cycle Pipe
Angled Down
For Use in Junior and Stock
Length - 16 1/2"
3 Staged
Stage 1 - .875
Stage 2 - 1.00
Stage 3 - 1.162

Last edited:
oops i forgot that nr is clone stuff and honda. a billet or raptor 3 rod also would be a good upgrade if you want to turn more rpms. 3hp flywheel and coil along with the bracket

ya arc does have some great :censure: for briggs. i plan on order my 94ss cheater cam there for my 5 horse flatty that i'm gonna rebuild this winter. i've been finding all kinds of web sites that are selling tons of performance parts. are you currently building a 5 horse?