briggs 5hp performance

Not to disagree with anyone........

I bought a brand new Briggs 5hp when I was thirteen. I removed the govener before I tested the engine.

I rode that minibike every weekend for at least 2 years.
I sold it when I was 16.
I never broke the engine for as long as I had it.:thumbsup:

yeah thats prob true but this motor is at least like 7 years old and its mostly stored outside and has been beaten on a bit. if i had a crate motore i wouldnt worry as much

that setup is giving me a headache picturing it, HAHA

I Kinda get what your saying, But im not 100% sure, It may be a torque convertor set up? I would need pictures,
If it is a torque converter, youll wanna keep that

I am not going to Lie, I ran the hell out of a briggs without the governor, But If it woulda blown, I may of had shrapnel in my head, a 50 dollar rod, for an indestructible insurance policy... Its worth it

As for the Muffler the RLV silencer is okay but the CAN muffler (energy drink can) Is what Id go with, if ya dont like the graphics paint it with Exhaust header paint from an autoparts store, it works great (I would recommend a couple coats of it on your header before ya run it, keeps it pretty)

If you look through the accessories page, they offer any pipe a two piece pipe (if you have access to a welder) and a spring joint pipe, These may help you in routing the pipe around frame pieces, Just be aware, if it sticks up into the air, and as you set the motor sits outside, It can collect water, flooding and damaging the motor!

Kart Pipes - Go Kart Options/Accessories

*** Edit thought
When you take a picture of the drive assembly, could you please take a couple pictures of the governor assembly, where it attaches to the carb, the motor, and anything in between, There may be one thing I can do to help keep it governed but get a little more speed

Last edited:
with the two piece pipe, it says no charge if i buy the can muffler is the 2 piece pipe just free then??

and yes i will pull that stupid stock air filter off and take lots of pictures. ill have them up on thursday.

and, i didnt even think about a torque converted untill you said it cause this thing just doesnt have a ton of power but it could be a possibility cause as im picturing it in my head it kinda looks like one.

oh and another question about the governer. if i take out the governer internally do i have to adjust stuff on the carb? cause all those links and springs is really confusing. im not planning on taking out the governor yet im just wondering.

thursday i will be ordering the air filter, adapter, cloth cover thing, possible the support and the head mount.

the pipe and muffler i need to get my next pay check for that.

also this is off topic, but i was thinking about fixing this up having my fun with it for a month or so and then selling it and buying a new motor and mini bike frame and starting over. then i thought y sell the go cart when i could buy the mini bike frame and put the engine in. But is it honesly more fun and rewarding to start from scratch and end with a awesome customized bike then to just throw in a motor? personal opinion

Youll wanna order the support if ya can, Call them but I believe it is free to get the two piece.

The govenor you will wanna remove the inside guts they can explode and cause some major damage. And I can help you with an easy spring set-up if you do wanna remove it one day, Its really simple to do.

Spring Set up, Non-governed Briggs

As for your last question, Keep the kart, Trust me, I have a kart (its a pos but I LOVE IT) and my bikes, You dont wanna get rid of a kart that you dont have to worrry about flipping,

You could swap the motor or pick up another Briggs, There not that expensive, and easy to get your hands on, and a blast to build up and crank out the horsepower!

But youll regret selling the kart as soon as you see it go, They way I justify it, If its sitting there it isnt costing me money, and I have a job therefore I can make money and have two fun toys instead of one!

alright cool.

and yeah i totally agree cuause i had an awesome mini bike when i was younger and then i sold it to get the go kart and now i miss my mini bike. haha. well ill post the pics thursday night so look for em. talk to you later

Not a problem I like minibikes more than karts, but my bike cant do do-nuts!, Ill look for the pictures, and help ya out,

For viewing pleasure.....

my go karts a nightmare, but its alot of fun

Extended frame Rupp Go-Kart, Twin motor

Having My younger brother change the tire to, Its good for him to learn, Hah

I wanna convert it to live axle, Run twin Briggs and get some brakes on the monster

- And yes, that is a school chair The local highschool got new chairs and was scrapping them all,

Took one, chopped the legs, welded the frame, re-attached the chair, Works great, needs side rails badly

Last edited:
yeah mines like that a bit. i have no idea what it is ill post a pic thursday of the whole thing. just bought if from some guy. the onlly problem with it right now is my lil bro ran into a tree. ya know the part that goes from the tire to the tie rod, well he bent that so the wheels are out line. it takes horrible right turnes, and over turns(making it not turn at all) too the left. so im working on that. but i do like how mine has the roll cage. i cant wait to get pics up and show you. the whoel gear thing is really funky wait till you see it. haha:eek:ut:

**edit
did you say it had no brakes?!

Last edited:
The spindles on mine are bent, the tie rods are bent (both getting replaced soon)

The floor pan is held on with good ole zip strips,

The brake pedal attaches to nothing, You can either drag your shoes on the BALD front tires, or drag them on the ground next to the kart,

It' easily hit thirty miles an hour,

Its a Honda GX110 with a buncha goodies =)

So, Its a no brake, sloppy steering, bald tire, death trap

Its going to get a major over haul this summer, new paint, new tires ( Ive got a nice set of slicks) live axle, brakes, and hopefully twin briggs, and side rails and a small roll bar,

Last edited:
jesus dude thats scary! ever crash it?

and that round thing that the tire bolt goes through and then connects to the tie rod. thats called a spindel?? cause ive been looking for i online and had no idea what to call it

the round things a tire rod end

http://www.bmikarts.com/shop/?shop=1&cat=179

That link should help, =)

My brother nearly flipped it when it got squirrely on him, Ive loved tapped a couple trees, and ran into the side of my house once,

Ive got alot of open room to run, So it doesn't bother me too much, and I dont recommend running without brakes and a safe kart,

Last edited:
yeah i think that ill keep my breaks haha

and yeah my tie rods are fine is the spindle thats bent. but i found them on that website that you just recommended.

on another note i think that im going to go ahead and order the free 2 piece pipe with i order the mounting bracket (will i need the mounting bracket with the 2 piece?)

i am currently studing to be a welder so i have tons of access to welding machines, and everything elce in a medal shop so before i get new spindle rods iim going to heat mine up and see if i cant bend them back into shape. and then i will also weld the pipe in class when it comes.

btw i was looking at ur pics of your mini bike. how fast does that thing go and what mods do you have on it??

Heating and bending it should work and straighten it out, I bent mine back without heat, I do have concern for the strength on them but It works

Youll still need a mounting bracket regardless of what pipe, It just protects the motor,

My minibike has a Briggs 5 Pony
Ive hit 64.4 and I know that It can go faster =)

So Far
Precision Cam Controlled stock cam
Dual Valve Spring
Automotive Style Keepers
98M header from Robertson Flared End
.010 Over Piston
ARC billet Rod
Ported and Polished
Cloth Aircleaner
Exhaust Port Reducer
Milled and Polished Head
Copper Head and Exhaust Gasket
Felpro Gaskets all Around
Bearing Side Cover
Lots Of Tender Loving Care

Soon To Have
ARC Billet Flywheel
Max Torque Draggin Skin or Noram clutch
Big Valves
26 MM Mikuni Carb
Fuel Pump
Possibly Stroker Crank Kit

Its a monster money trap and I Love It

Last edited:
nice dude. ive never heard of the pony before.

whas it a crate motor before you started adding mods??

im think im gonna tryto get mine to 40

5 Pony is just how I say Horse, (dont ask why) Its the good ole Model 13 Briggs L-Head 5 horsepower (A different variation of the engine you have)

That motor is actually the original on that bike (circa 1960's)

I just put alot of work into it, and turned it into a monster, added alot of modern parts and got her running twice as strong as before,

I havent seen somewhere selling the Briggs Raptor 3 new in stock configuration ("crate motor") in a while (dynocams may have them still?) but you can get blue printed ones kickin 12+ horsepower for a 800-1700 dollars (yes, some of these engines actually push the thousands!) You could get your block blue printed for around 200 dollars, plus parts if you really wanted to get alot more power out of it, Theres alot of work behind it but it can be done, I prefer to do everything myself, (that I can) I enjoy it alot.

Last edited:
oh ok i get it

yeah i think that is crazy to buy one at that pirice. you can get them in good shape for like 150-300 stock on ebay and even cheaper on local craigslist.

so yeah ive seen things life blueprinted carb and stuff, and you said i could get my engine blueprinted. what does that mean?

and yeah i think that doing all the stuff your self gives it a really custom feel to it. plus its fun. but boy does it suck up money. but its all worth it.

tomorrow im ordering everything but the energy drink muffler. i neeed like 20 more bucks so ill order that sunday or monday when i get my paycheck. so tomarrow ill have pics up for you to look at.

when the stuff comes in the mail im like a little boy at christmas. i cant wait :xmas-smiley-016: when it comes ill deffinatly have it all in place in one night. ill figure out the exhaust and then weld that next week. and when its all put together ill put up more pics.

im also trying to decide what to paint it. the kart is black (and desperatly needing a new paint job, its flaking off) and the motors black. but i want to paint the kart one color and the motor another color. havent decided what yet. i posted a thread yesterday asking for ideas and pics, but threads are always really slow to start so nothing yet.

blueprinted means the engine is built to certain specs, and in the cases of kart motors the engines ported and built to make more power, by flowing better, compression and a huge laundry list of things,

The only thing on the fun power engine that cant be blueprinted is the carb, It uses an air mixture carb rather than a fuel mixture carb, (to change the carb rich to lean) You could easily update that to a raptor or tiller carb and get more power.

You can get up to two horsepower just by reaming out the carb and doing work to it, I plan on getting a different carb this summer, I think mines choking out the engine a little,

The bad thing with kart engines is normally you loose the choke making starting a little more difficult, But oh well.

I like orange and black, or orange and red for color schemes, As you noticed im really partial to Ford Blue and White, Its my favorite to be honest, White doesnt like to stay white always, But I keep it clean and love it.

And even if I get a few nuts and bolts I get excited,

Its always fun

Heres an article on blueprinting the briggs flatheads

4 Cycle Karting Forums - FAQ: Flathead Blueprinting

More than alot of that information is probably over your head, And id recommend learning more before tackling big projects, I can help with alot of it, But even my knowledge is limited.

On another note 4cycle is a really nice forum, Except they dont like Minibikes at all and normally youll get all your questions answer but sometimes youll be stranded with no help and more confused than when you started,

Enjoy!

would it be worth it to get a stock raptor carb or go for the high performance. cuase theres a big difference in price!

what fo you recomend for clutches too? i know you said you need pics for mine but just in general. i was looking at noram with heavy something i forget. but people say there are the best bang for the buck.

and do you think that i should do gearing with the governor intact or wait to take it out and then put in better gears?

final question (haha, ill never run out) i was on arc racing and then sell a billet flywheel, but only for like a cx100 and honda or something like that but nothing about briggs. the only one about briggs was like v twin or something. will the first one work for my motor?

Id go for the high performance, BUT loose the damned governor and get the rod! (youll be happier!) the high performance is worth it!

The clutches either a Noram with heavy or my favorite the best damned clutch out there the Max Torque Draggin Skin (adjustable, lasts long)

Im not really a gearing person... But 14/60 and 14/72 work really well (the first for speed the later for torque)

Lets see if you have a torque converter before messing with gearing thou

ARC racing sells the flathead fly wheels, Im not sure why they dont have them listed yet, they redid the site recently and are missing 70% of there parts, give them a call they just priced one for 110 buck +/- a few bucks you would have to use an offset key for it to run properly (race motors have advanced timing for power and running good)

Give ARC a call for more information on the flywheel

Im still trying to find a site that explains everything just yell at me if im over your head and ill slow down and explain

yep besides the exhaust and the intake the next thing is the rod so i can get the governor out of there. just no sooner cause i like the engine intact. hah

alrights ill give them a call tomarrow when im ordering everything. and i was on ebay and i found billet flywheels for about 70ish.

im good on everything you said besides the offset key :doah: haha

and im very seriously considering jhon deere colors. rims and all, did it to one of my old bmx bikes last year and came out looking really cool.

edit**
to replace the rod and take the governor i need to pull the engine out of the kart right?

Last edited: