Briggs 6hp lawnmower engine.

Attempting to convert my vertical shaft engine in to a horizontal shaft and was wondering if anyone has any ideas to what I should do to plug the oil from coming out. Since it isn't tapped and is just a big 11/16 hole. Thanks!

if your seriously gonna try it posts pics regarding your question. but first evaluate if its worthwhile to build or if you'ld be better off getting a different engine. don't let any one stop you from trying, if you just want to say you did it, or whatever the case may be. but think about it first. cost [time and money], risk[engine scattering next to you], and reward. most verticle engines don't have a shaft that fits a centrifugal clutch so know what the rest of the drivetrain will be ahead of time(belt drive like a tractor clutch perhaps) or be prepared to machine the crank to fit a clutch or pay to have it machined. sorry for the essay but i don't want you to get in it without consideration.

That was fast. Thanks for the reply Adrenaline. Here is two pictures of the engine. I've spent a bit of time on it just cleaning it just figuring out what everything does. Its been pretty cool getting to know this type of small engine.

My goal is to get it attached to my bike and use it. You think the centrifugal clutch will still fit on there? And any ideas on the oil hole?

there looks to be enough material that the hole could be tapped to plug it with a pipe cap[female].
as for the drivetrain, most verticle engines won't fit common clutch sizes being 5/8, 3/4, or 1 inch. use a caliper to measure the PTO. if it won't fit you can have the output turned down in a lathe, or you might be able to find a pulley to fit the PTO and run a belt drive to a jackshaft.then you can determine if you want to mount a clutch to the jackshaft or just a sprocket to the wheel. a sprocket to the wheel means you have to rig a tensioner clutch like a lawn tractor when you build the belt drive set up.

don't forget to address oiling during the horizontal from verticle flop.

People have converted them before.. But you should look into it, as it;'s going to require totally reworking the internal parts, so you can get oil to the places it's needed..

The carb will have to be rotated 90 degrees , you will have to make some sort of mounting plate , generally way to much trouble to go to for an engine that will not work as good as a horizontal shaft , clones are cheap.
Good luck and have fun , I love a challege too.
Rob

id just put a bolt with washers on inside and out and a lock nut. Either permatex the crap out of it or jb weld to keep it sealed up. Definatly look into the conversion. you cant just turn the carb and call it done. need a dipper and oil galleys cut

People have converted them before.. But you should look into it, as it;'s going to require totally reworking the internal parts, so you can get oil to the places it's needed..
:hammer:

There may/will be places in the block that are set (drilled or slotted) to receive oil in the vertical position....that will run dry in the horizontal.....

Your up for a challenge.........

Now for me....

I would not bother,.,.,..,I would rather have a reliable engine ......that I don't have to push home.

It's a bitch, don't let em fool ya.. Theres a lot of work involved in making one work.. You also gotta get oil to your rod journal...

I don't wanna convert one.. I just use horizontal motors and be done with it.. :laugh:

It can be done if ya want to though.. Hell, ANYTHING is possible with enough sand paper and rubber bands..:mellow: