Briggs question

old-timer

Scamming Member
Being that I'm old and kinda stuck on flat heads, what's the difference between the Briggs Animal and the World Formula motors :shrug:

I'm trying to get educated on the OHV style Briggs motors and the quality difference between the Briggs and the Predator if any. I know as the old saying goes... you get what you pay for, but just have a hard time spending $500.00 for a Briggs when the Predator sells for $100.00 or less and the after market parts are somewhat inexpensive :shrug:

I'm sure the quality is prob overall better on the Briggs but ?

Thanks for the schooling :thumbsup:

Vic

CarPlayLB

Hey Oldtimer!

I bought an Animal motor for the first mini I built. Awesome motor, runs great, no issues. Here's my logic (although I did just build a clone!) By the time you buy the Predator motor, disassemble it, add billet rod and flywheel, camshaft, fix the carb, you should be somewhere around $400 into it. I spent the extra $100 for the Animal and it was ready to roll...with a better carburetor, PVL ignition, able to spin to 6200 without a sweat....and I will assume it is mostly made in the USA.
I think if you can afford an Animal, it may be the bang for the buck out there!

but that is just my opinion, I could be wrong!

old-timer

Scamming Member
Thanks CarPlayLB I guess your right as far as being out of the box ready and money spent between the two. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Briggs fan all the way and always have been. I was under the impression that Briggs was now made overseas :shrug:

Still can't figure out what the difference is between the Formula and Animal ? I know, or I believe that the Formula is electric start, but is that basically the only difference between the two?

I really want to get an Animal to play around with but can't shell out that kind of money in one swoop. Plus I have a hard time thinking, ok I can buy a motor for $500.00 but can also buy a complete mini for the same money :shrug:

Being poor sucks :laugh:

CarPlayLB

I think my mini addiction is making me poor!

I know the WF engine has a higher RPM allowance than the Animal...my Animal supposedly cuts off at 6200...it is the Local Option 206 Animal. The WF has a different head, so probably a different cam. I am sure it was made for more experienced classes

rmm727

Regular Animal has basically no rpm limit (think its 13k rpm)
LO206 option is 6200 or rpm
World Formula is 7k or so

World Formula has a .308 lift cam, bigger carb and better head plus electric start. Its also over $1000.

old-timer

Scamming Member
Regular Animal has basically no rpm limit (think its 13k rpm)
LO206 option is 6200 or rpm
World Formula is 7k or so

World Formula has a .308 lift cam, bigger carb and better head plus electric start. Its also over $1000.
Thanks rmm727
That's pretty much what I wanted to find out. The price alone of the WF makes the Animal look like a bargain :shrug:

Looks like I'll be sticking to my flat heads and Predators for awhile :laugh:

Vic

I don't blame you, I'd have a hard time handing over $1000 for a small engine.

Hell, for that money you could find an OK used car if you looked hard enough.