Briggs Raptor. Dover power motor???

Hi I recently purchased a "raptor" off of eBay. I of course bought the motor as is and won the auction at a very reasonable price. Anyways the motor looks pretty legit I haven't fully opened it up but I can see quite a few places that machine work has been done on it like where the valve seats were cut, the edge of the block that's exposed where the gasket goes looks to be milled perfectly smooth, same with exhaust port. Is there anyway for me to tell if this motor is really what it was stated as? And also is there any way for me to tell if the carb is set up to run methanol? Because my eager self threw some oil in it and gas and mounted on my mini. But no matter how I adjust the jet I can't seem to get a good idle nor can I get full throttle. The motor blows a little white smoke and once methanol came to mind I shut her down and here I am. Any help here would be great. Tia

Sent from my One using Tapatalk 4

I was also thinking that. My main concern at this point would be figuring the fuel issue out.

Last edited:
OK so I found AAA with a smiley face below it on the carb engraved. Along with 2009 on the throttle linkage has anyone ever seen this? Sorry for the noobie questions if this is common knowledge

Last edited:
How about posting some good photos of the engine from different angles and have the collective minds of OldMiniBikes look at them?:laugh:
Michael

AAA is one of the markings Dover uses on his carbs. He grades them and AAA is one of his best carbs. It's most likely jetted to run on methanol. It won't run worth crap on gas. Pull the mixture screw assembly out and look in the hole at the number on the jet. If it's jetted for methanol it will probably be a 50-54 jet. That is what I typically run in my Raptor kart engines on methanol. It may need a new diaphragm too. They don't last long when exposed to methanol. I don't know if Dover engraves or stamps the block with a build number. I'd give him a call. One of the best builders in the country. Post up some pictures it would help for sure.

Last edited:
A carb that has been drilled for alky wont run worth a flip on gas. Even if you install a smaller jet, they still won't run good on gas. When modifying a carb for alky, the holes behind the jet are enlarged as well. You will need to use a different carb if you plan on running gasoline.

Matt

Well I picked up some methanol from the local powersports shop and she's ALIVE ! Couldn't be any happier with this motor. Its pushing my 205lb self at 55+ I'll post some pics in a few. I'm finally happy with this motor and can be done with this build :)

The engine cover is the one off another five horse Briggs I painted when I did the bike. Still have the fenders and stuff but kinda like the Iook of it without.