briggs "type" number meaning help needed

Hi guys, I need help figuring out a briggs type number. The complete number is 204412-0156e2-0505xxxx, I know the meaning of the first part but not the type number. I ask because I have two engines with the same model number as this one and they have different covers but mainly I want to know if it is a cast sleeve type with ball bearings. The ones that I have are aluminum bore with sleeve bearings (least durable engine of that size). Thanks

125ccCrazy

try Jacks Small engines... they have a chart...I tried to post a link but it won't allow it to be copied..

Last edited:
The second set of numbers are for the application of the motor. The company ordering the motor for use in its equipment. That number is not that important. The model is what is important.

The second set of numbers are for the application of the motor. The company ordering the motor for use in its equipment. That number is not that important. The model is what is important.
Thanks, what I would like to know is how do you know if the engine is cast sleeve without having it in front of you. These numbers or codes must be enough for B&S to know what is in the box just by reading them.

Try contacting Briggs and Stratton at their website. They have a chat line that may give you the answer. But you would be surprise how little they also know about their engines as I found out one time talking with them.

You can use a strip of magnet sheet (like the thin pliable stuff sometimes used on fridge magnets) slipped down the spark plug hole to see if it sticks to the cylinder side wall which would mean it's the iron liner. Takes a little practice to get used to the feel but super handy to ID them once you get it down. I don't know if you can determine the liner from any of the code numbers and yeah calling them is a joke, you will just talk to a random customer service call center person just looking to help you with your order or whatever.

Here's the (older engines) chart for the model numbers:

I forgot I had sketched this out before, this what I am talking about with that magnet strip trick to determine iron liner:
(again, you kinda need to practice a bit on a known engine, to get the feel right for it "sticking" or not-I hope this helps!)