Briggs vs. HF 99cc

Do Vintage Restored Minibikes Need Period Correct Engines?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What are your opinions on modern engines on restored vintage minibikes? I know budget is a huge concern. I restored this Taco 44 and threw an old edger's B&S 2hp on it. I I'd like to find a nice vintage 'period correct 3hp or 5hp B&S engine but the ones I found are really expensive. I think a HF 99cc or 212cc would be nice but I think a Briggs looks far better on a Taco, but I don't think the modern B&S 3.5hp are visually appealing on an old taco. Would 6.5hp be too powerful for this little mini-bike. Does anyone know how many HP the HF 99cc is? If i had the original Taco wheels I'd have to spring the big money on a vintage restored Briggs or even a Westbend.

Some say the new 99cc motor at HF is 3hp. You should be able to pick up a good Briggs 3hp off Craigslist as they were a very common motor. Where do you live, could you post on your profile your location. Good Luck

oldsledz

In my opinion if the young man in your photo is going to be riding the bike the 6.5 is too powerful, but it should be ok for a adult.

Neck

Growing up is optional
If I had to choose, the older Briggs would be my choice, The HF 99cc just wouldn't look right on the Taco, but then I'm a Taco JUNKIE! I'm sure the HF 99 is a good running engine. You can use a vintage blower housing on a later engine as well as a vintage Pulse Jet carb.