Broken bolt on my crankcase. oil leak!

I need help on how to fix a broken bolt and striped threads on my crankcase on the briggs 5hp raptor. The biggest problem is that it is not sealed and oil comes out through the hole for the bolt. The threads are all striped on the side cover, but im pretty sure there is still good threads in the actual block. Another issue is that the bolt didn't just virbrate loose from the RPMs of the engine, the bolt broke, and half of the bolt is still stuck in the block!

My question to everyone, is how do i go about fixing this issue??? Is there a known way to get the bolt out without paying somebody at a machine shop to use an ez-out or something? And, once the broken end is out, how to i seal the crankcase, if the threads are striped, and i cant put a bolt in there?
:shrug:
HELP PLEASE!!

1-If the broken bolt is flush with the case you can set a larger nut over broken bolt and weld inside the nut to the broken bolt and then turn out.

2-Sometimes you can use a small punch and hammer to gently turn it out by tapping on one edge of the broken bolt in the loose direction.

3-Drill it out and tap to the next bigger size, will need to have crankcase open
to remove filings.

4-Use a good quality thread/pipe sealant on threads.

Last edited:
I would drain all fluids, take it apart and do a thorough cleaning. Once done, have it boxed up and placed on craigslist or ebay. The money you get from the sell put that towards a good china man clone or a japan built honda. That is my humble opinion. :smile:

oldsledz

I don't think the side cover had threads just the block. The best thing to do is pay someone to take the bolt out right , then all you should need is a new bolt to stop the leak.

I need help on how to fix a broken bolt and striped threads on my crankcase on the briggs 5hp raptor. The biggest problem is that it is not sealed and oil comes out through the hole for the bolt. The threads are all striped on the side cover, but im pretty sure there is still good threads in the actual block. Another issue is that the bolt didn't just virbrate loose from the RPMs of the engine, the bolt broke, and half of the bolt is still stuck in the block!

My question to everyone, is how do i go about fixing this issue??? Is there a known way to get the bolt out without paying somebody at a machine shop to use an ez-out or something? And, once the broken end is out, how to i seal the crankcase, if the threads are striped, and i cant put a bolt in there?
:shrug:
HELP PLEASE!!
I would drill it a re tap or heli coil it and make sure u keep them all tight an they wont ever break agin

what do you mean i #4? what is thread/pipe sealant? is there a way to get new threads on the crankcase?

Drill out the old bolt then a "tap" cuts new threads. The sealant is a liquid you pour on to the threads of the new bolt then thread the bolt in.

You would have to buy the next size up drill and matching tap.

Oldsalt

I would drain all fluids, take it apart and do a thorough cleaning. Once done, have it boxed up and placed on craigslist or ebay. The money you get from the sell put that towards a good china man clone or a japan built honda. That is my humble opinion. :smile:
Come on ola! You can't be entirely serious in advising that he sell a Raptor and buy a 99 buck clone! It's not apples and apples. Even a stock Briggs 5 HP will be considerably more reliable than a stock clone. Unargueable fact. A Japan Honda is wildly overpriced and cannot compete with a Raptor.

As far as the broken off bolt is concerned it will be necessary to disassemble the engine. Drilling out the stud, if that becomes necessary, cannot be done without fileings getting inside the engine. Austin, post a picture if the area where the broken bolt is at.

Oldsalt

Come on ola! You can't be entirely serious in advising that he sell a Raptor and buy a 99 buck clone! It's not apples and apples. Even a stock Briggs 5 HP will be considerably more reliable than a stock clone. Unargueable fact. A Japan Honda is wildly overpriced and cannot compete with a Raptor.

As far as the broken off bolt is concerned it will be necessary to disassemble the engine. Drilling out the stud, if that becomes necessary, cannot be done without fileings getting inside the engine. Austin, post a picture if the area where the broken bolt is at. It's hard to give proper advice without knowing more.

well for the record, i did not recommend boxing up a dirty engine. :smile:
For the record, you also did not recommend that he tell any potential ebay buyer about the stripped bolt holes in the crankcase, nor the oil leak around the one bolt hole, nor the stripped threads in the side cover, nor the broken bolt still in the crankcase. Ogy

I have a hunch that if the motor was thoroughly cleaned the list of deficiencies would likely change. Until that happens, we'll never know :shrug: what recommendations to use as selling points.:001_tt2:

Last edited:

oldfatguy

Heli-Coil, Helicoil, Helicoil Insert, Helicoil Tap, Helicoil Inserts, Helicoil Gauge, Helicoil Kit, Helicoils, Emhart Helicoil, Bollhoff Helicoil, Helicoil Plus, Armacoil, Armstrong Helicoil
this is what you need,any auto parts store or e-bay will have the kit. you need the 1/4 x20 size.It is simple to use ,drill out the hole ,tap it and then screw in the thread insert. I have used these many times to repair stripped out head bolts and side cover threads. the kit includes every thing you need ,drill bit ,tap inserts and installation tool. Now if the bolt is broken off in the block there is a tool called an easy out. Basically you drill a hole in the center of the screw and use the easy out on a tap and die handle to grab and back the screw out. good luck,I hope this helps you fix it