broken piston ring question.

weird question guys, but, i built a briggs intek 6.5hp, and ive ran it a little bit, and it just wasn't running quite right, seemed a bit sluggish, so, i started looking for problems and couldnt find anything obvious, so i ended up dissasembling it, and turns out one of my rings broke, not quite sure how, but it is.

any idea on how it may have happened? cause im kinda stumped.

125ccCrazy

did you check the end gap on the rings before installing them? the end gap may have been to tight and when the rings heated and expanded they broke..

or as stated above it may have been broken during installation...

yea, i figured it may have cracked during the installation, the rings had sat around for a while and perhaps got brittle.

have to sort it out, hone and new rings.

jreid50

Usually the only two things that cause a second ring to break is improper installation or incorrect ring end gap! When you reinstall a new set try not to stress the rings by stretching them around the piston, and double check your end gap!

65ShelbyClone

yea, i figured it may have cracked during the installation, the rings had sat around for a while and perhaps got brittle.
I assure you that nothing about the rings changed or degraded while on a shelf. Metal does not have an expiration date at any of the temperatures humans can survive.

It's a good idea to use a proper ring expander when installing them and mandatory to check the end gap.