Bucky Balls/neocubes/neodymium magnets... anyone play with them?

do any of you have 5mm neodymium magnets (Bucky Balls is the expensive brand name)? they have to be the single most entertaining thing i have ever bought.

this site has some cool vids showing how to make stuff.

Category:How to Neocube - Neocube Tricks

here's something that i came up with earlier this afternoon. it took a little over 1,500 of them to make it.

if you want to get some, i've bought the majority of mine from this guy on ebay. his deal for 1,100 of them is good and he ships fast. most places/sellers offer 216-220 of them and it's just not enough to really have fun with them. i'd like to get another 2,000-3,000 to build some big shit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...582966&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_910wt_1139

Last edited:
I have had a set for about 2 years now, however it has diminished over time from lost pieces. I use a lot of them for holding stuff up on the walls here in the office and cabinets.
I just made this like 10 seconds ago. It took me 2 seconds.

About the best thing that has come from them is when one of the girls here in the office comes over and asks if she can play with my balls for the day.:blink:

That looks like a fun toy. They also have some neat magnets on the toy shelf at HF. Speaking of buckyballs, and just to put it in context, read this, from Wikipedia:

"A fullerene is any molecule composed entirely of carbon, in the form of a hollow sphere, ellipsoid, or tube. Spherical fullerenes are also called buckyballs, and they resemble the balls used in Association Football. Cylindrical ones are called carbon nanotubes or buckytubes. Fullerenes are similar in structure to graphite, which is composed of stacked graphene sheets of linked hexagonal rings; but they may also contain pentagonal (or sometimes heptagonal) rings.[1]
The first fullerene to be discovered, and the family's namesake, buckminsterfullerene (C60), was prepared in 1985 by Richard Smalley, Robert Curl, James Heath, Sean O'Brien, and Harold Kroto at Rice University. The name was an homage to Buckminster Fuller, whose geodesic domes it resembles."

And speaking of Buckminster Fuller, when I was very little my engineer dad built us a wooden jungle gym in the form of a geodesic dome. All the kids in the neighborhood came to play on it. I'll try to find a pic.

i decided to make the thing i did in the OP but bigger. i made half of it before i ran out of balls. it's time to buy more. i don't think i'll be happy until i have 5,000-10,000 of them. :laugh:

I once owned those "magnetics" things ages ago, I think they were a rip off of the bucky balls.

.. it was never easy to model with them though cuz the magnets never wanted to cooperate.

oh yeah and that's a nice cam' in the background there...

-GC-

if you're into stock 6.5 clone cams i guess it's nice. :shrug:

:laugh:
Well considering my cam is currently covered in sand (I hate having to work on the side of the house, especially as clumsy as I am..) I think any clean cam would be nice at the moment... I think any RUNNING motor would be nice at the moment :doah: LOL

-GC-