Buell X1 Lightning

In the thread about Kohler and Briggs V-twin performance I mentioned having a tube-frame Buell X1 Lightning, so here is a thread about this unique American machine.

If you know about Buell, skip this paragraph. Erik Buell today owns EBR, Erik Buell Racing. In the 90's he owned Buell American Motorcycles, and was an engineer employee at Harley Davidson. Strapping a Sportster engine into a crotch rocket, he formed a company that Harley ended up mostly owning. For a few years you could buy a Buell at your local Harley dealership. Buells were roadraced, but brought up the back of the pack. In winter 1998 the Motor Company put 35 million or so dollars in his hand to WIN some races. The result was the '99 X1 Lightning, and for a Harley-powered bike it was pretty amazing. Built in Wisconsin on a hand-TIG welded chrome molybdenum tubing frame, these bikes became knows as "tubers". Later models like the XB were built on aluminum box frames.

The '99 X1 Lightning won some races; the patriot in me craved one. In Florida if you ride a non-Harley bike, you are a minority at events like Daytona. Over there they refer to Japanese iron as a "fire starter". I got the Buell, and later added a 100th Anniversary FLSTF carbureted FatBoy to the stable which already had a mighty Honda V65 Sabre in it.

One ride on an X1 Lightning will put a smile on your face, a knowing, special smile that never fades. Much like owning a 60’s big block Corvette, there are things uniquely American involved that defy easily writing about, or explaining over lunch. After driving one you know why that fellow in the rumbling fiberglass roadster is smiling.

Riding the X1 on public roads is akin to street driving a race-prepped ‘67 Corvette roadster with the 427 L89 big block, M22 rock crusher 4-speed, tri-deuce carbs, roller cam, dual point distributor, pop up pistons, brutal compression ratio up around 12.5:1 and open sidepipes. You buy the best gas and watch the temp gauge in traffic, try not to attract extra law enforcement attention, and replace rear tires about as often as oil filters. Maintenance is frequent and important. Attention to controlling the fury available from your right foot better be constant and quick, especially in the rain. Your arms get a workout from turning the steering wheel through a manual box to move wide tires. The ride is harsh, and driving is demanding but satisfying. The effort, sound, wind, and g's release endorphins like a heavy workout. Its physical and exhausting. Ten minutes driving time will flush a day's worth of stress right out of you.

If a car like this seems tame to you, then an X1 Lightning would be about as exciting as 3-speed Schwinn bicycle with a coaster brake.

The X1 has quirks. Mine is loud, speaking through a Vance and Hines aluminum muffler. It shakes and vibrates, is brutally torquey and will quickly bite an amateur rider in the ass. It will numb your balls in 20 minutes with its rocklike seat, but it has character like no other bike I have ever ridden. The damn thing begs you to ride it hard, and it gets into your blood. Its an unforgettable machine, it makes you pay attention, and for short rides it will make you grin and feel proud that Americans thought it up.

If you remember how a 327 Corvette with a 30-30 Duntov camshaft sounded idling, the Buell will tickle your senses. While a Harley engine is old, inefficient technology, at least the Buell is the most wicked version Erik could scrap together from the parts bins, with huge cam profiles and insanely advanced ignition timing. The '99 X1 was the first fuel-injected Harley. And it is a Harley, the title says so... Manufacturer: HD

The Buell has so much torque off the line it will leave the best Asian crotch rockets behind - up to that magical 50 mph when its tall European Sportster first gear is used up at redline. Above 50, large bore crotch rockets surpass the Buell. If you ride touring bikes then my kind of riding does not make sense, so I am not promoting it to you. I'm trying to share that the Buell isn't a jet or rocket, its more like a propeller-drive WWII fighter plane. Between redlights the Buell, piloted by an experienced rider, will shame any crotch rocket rider with a ferocious blast of muscle. No burnout, no wheelie, just squat and boogie. See the tail light move further away. Since I detest speeding tickets, the Buell perfoms a perfectly legal zero-to-45 and back-to-zero run, arriving at the next traffic signal first.

For me its the grown-up version of my two-speed Sears minibike... just fast enough off the line to outsprint my buddies'karts and minis in the mid 70's.

Once while riding my girlfriend on the lily pad, a large group of solo riders on modified crotch rockets buzzed up and surrounded us at a 4-lane stoplight. Gazing over the colorful crowd, she leaned into my ear and asked if the Buell would outrun any of them. When I answered in the affirmative without even looking them over, she whispered “then kick their asses” and her grip around my waist tightened. After leaving them all at five lights in a row, several pulled alongside us at the 6th to inquire what kind of bike it was. The fact we were riding two up only shaved a few tenths off the zero to 50 time, completely confounding the Hayabusa, GSXR, CBR and Ducati riders.

The X1 begs you to throttle it off the line. For the aggressive rider, it has the hardware to deliver. In terms of reliability, function and comfort, give me a GoldWing, aero BMW, or dresser Hog any day. In terms of sound and grin factor, the Buell rocks my world. The massive Asian bikes crank out far more net horsepower than the Buell, but those engines take a split second to gain RPM to build torque and power. The Buell has maximum power from idle to redline, and its all in that initial part of that first first second that it leaps out ahead on its hefty torque surge. The Buell is puking on the rev limiter at 6,500 RPM (its a giant lawnmower engine) when the big bore Asian bike cams are just coming online. In redlight-to-redlight riding the Buell pays me back for all the things we read about Harleys that are negative.

Last edited:
I had a Buell Blast, actually a great bike to teach people on. I remember this video! he was ready to replace the Blast with something new, but it never materialized.

That bike is fully intact. It still has the stock ABS plastic rear fender, the over-the-tire inner fender, the unpainted "bread box" air filter assembly, and factory chin spoiler. I see the tip of the stock muffler poking out on the driver's side, in front of the rear tire. Hard to tell if it has PM (Polished Magnesium) wheels or the powder coated ones, but the PM wheels were a $1,700 factory option. That is a rare bike today: a stock, unaltered original X1. Even the DDFI (Direct Digital Fuel Injection) aluminum ignition pickup cover plate, is there on the side cover. The factory riveted those in place.

The 2001 model was the final year for the X1 Lightning. It came with the improved Showa rear shock (located under the engine, parallel to the muffler) which had to be purchased for my '99 model. The engine had a slightly stronger crankshaft which came out in the 2000 model year. The fuel injection mapping and timing advance curves were improved. The rear brake hose was upgraded. For 4 grand its an unusual American bike.

Its amazing how many Buells are stripped for the engine, wheels, and go-fast chassis parts to build into "choppers". Several companies offer frame kits that the X1 parts bolt up to. Think I will hang on to mine, the prices are so low for these bikes now.

Last edited:
HD sure threw Erik Buell a kick in the nuts. Actually it was a two-hit. First, they made him produce the Buell Blast, then they shut him down completely. I'm really glad to see that he's back in business.

Erik Buell Racing
agreed!
I had a 2000 1203 buell and loved it, serious sellers remorse with that bike. It was super clean and a beautiful handling bike, around 100 hp /TQ.
I loaded it down with my tent and bed roll and took it on a Pancho Run one year, its an invite only 5 days of debauchery and camping ride and I dominated the twistys, the only reason I wasnt first to the next stop was because I didnt know where the hell we were going, didnt really care, just having fun on a wicked bike.
I took a yamaha XS chop the previous year, the buell had the torque to come out of the turns like mad where as the yami sucked butt.

Last edited:
The 00 had the improved rear shock from the factory and the bigger crank. Great experience! Mine has a factory 101 HP rating, and the 2000 was that or better.

Last edited:

markus

Pardue, did you live down here When Harley used the Mercury marine test facility down the road from me at the foot of the Boca Grande bridge? When they introduced the Buell into the lineup I was told all the test riders had laid it down at least once :eek:hmy: I think they ran a group of bikes just about 24/7 you would see them all over roads down here middle of the day, middle of the night, group of them in yellow reflective vest and bright orange helmets.

then when you'd drop your boat in the water you would see a group from the Mercury side. Everything from a jon boat to a twin engine performance boat in a big group coming up the intercoastal all boats blank white, Drivers in orange lifevests and bright orange helmets just beating the living shit out of them all day long.

Out at the facility Harley kept big racks out on the docks with parts strewn all over them testing corrosion etc..

I dont remember if Harley pulled out first or if they went with Mercury, they moved all that up to Alabama I want to say :shrug:

Pardue, did you live down here When Harley used the Mercury marine test facility down the road from me at the foot of the Boca Grande bridge? When they introduced the Buell into the lineup I was told all the test riders had laid it down at least once :eek:hmy: I think they ran a group of bikes just about 24/7 you would see them all over roads down here middle of the day, middle of the night, group of them in yellow reflective vest and bright orange helmets.

then when you'd drop your boat in the water you would see a group from the Mercury side. Everything from a jon boat to a twin engine performance boat in a big group coming up the intercoastal all boats blank white, Drivers in orange lifevests and bright orange helmets just beating the living shit out of them all day long.

Out at the facility Harley kept big racks out on the docks with parts strewn all over them testing corrosion etc..

I dont remember if Harley pulled out first or if they went with Mercury, they moved all that up to Alabama I want to say :shrug:
Yes Markus, I have lived here on the west coast since '93, and can remember them idling Harleys inside concrete wall enclosures, in the big summer heat, watching for overheating. Whole tanks of gas idled out. They tested V-Rods, Buells, and air cooled Harleys there as well. Bikes and parts all over the place! They must have destroyed a lot of stuff there. I saw Mercury-powered boats, too. That must be wild to have been near that!

Tube frame Buells are the shit. We don't see many of them coming in anymore at my work. I'm half tempted to see if a guy I work with will sell me his M2 that he never rides that he bought off a friend of mine years ago. It's orange and has full exhaust, cams and a carb. I miss ripping around on that thing. It's not super fast, but is a lot of fun.

I had a Buell Blast, actually a great bike to teach people on....
Perhaps....But so off topic for Buell. HD saw the need for a beginner bike, and contrary to what a lot of people think, a Sportster doesn't fill that role. They didn't want to sully the HD brand by making something far outside of their own defined role, so they laid the task on Buell. It was just a nail in the coffin of the original Buell brand.

Tom, your insight sounds logical to me. I was nearly given the Blast, someone saw me on the Lightning and offered it cheap. It was an odd machine, the engine was almost like a Sportster block with the rear cylinder hole missing. It vibrated like crazy at all RPM's. The muffler must have weighed 50 lbs.

The Blast did not handle, brake, or accelerate to my expectations for a 500cc bike. The huge plastic pulley on the rear wheel was ugly. I had a 1981 Honda XL500S that would eat the Blast for breakfast, and that was a street/trail bike.

The one redeeming thing it lent me, was it safely let a few people learn to ride street bikes, mostly folks that rode dirt bikes in their teens. In Florida the MSF folks used the Blast as class bikes.

When I saw that video of Erik at the crusher, I thought he was going to get to design a really hot little 500 or 600 that next year. Alas, the Motor Company finished him off.

I am glad to see Erik free to design and build new bikes again.

Tube frame Buells are the shit. We don't see many of them coming in anymore at my work. I'm half tempted to see if a guy I work with will sell me his M2 that he never rides that he bought off a friend of mine years ago. It's orange and has full exhaust, cams and a carb. I miss ripping around on that thing. It's not super fast, but is a lot of fun.
The M2 is a carbureted version of the X1, I think it handles the same. I agree, these bikes are not super fast, but they are a lot of fun!

...The one redeeming thing it lent me, was it safely let a few people learn to ride street bikes, mostly folks that rode dirt bikes in their teens....
My kid teaches learn-to-ride classes that are required to get a motorcycle license in our state. He tells me of so many guys who will get their non-riding wife or GF a Sportster so they can ride together, and the gal is completely intimidated by the size and weight. But the guy half of the couple is all indignant that anyone would learn to ride on a little Japanese bike.

IMO, everyone should learn to ride off pavement first. Turn 'em loose in a big grassy field on an an old minibike or XR70 so they can fall off a few times w/o getting too banged up before graduating to asphalt. You can't ride a bike comfortably if you're always scared to death of falling off. And you cannot ride capably if you're uncomfortable. You've got to be ready for a fall to happen, expect that it will happen sooner or later, and have some idea ahead of time what it's like. Anyhow, your Buell is ultra-cool, and I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited:
My kid teaches learn-to-ride classes that are required to get a motorcycle license in our state. He tells me of so many guys who will get their non-riding wife or GF a Sportster so they can ride together, and the gal is completely intimidated by the size and weight. But the guy half of the couple is all indignant that anyone would learn to ride on a little Japanese bike.

IMO, everyone should learn to ride off pavement first. Turn 'em loose in a big grassy field on an XR70 so they can fall off a few times w/o getting too banged up before graduating to asphalt. You can't ride a bike comfortably if you're always scared to death of falling off. And you cannot ride capably if you're uncomfortable. You've got to be ready for a fall to happen, expect that it will happen sooner or later, and have some idea ahead of time what it's like. Anyhow, your Buell is ultra-cool, and I didn't mean to hijack your thread.
I learned to ride on the street on my 1200 Sporty. That was my mistake. I hit a pothole, and I inadvertently launched the bike (as much as I complained about it wheezing on the highway in my thread, down low it's bullshit for torque). It was not fun at all.

Other than that, it really, really wasn't THAT bad to learn on. I'm not talented by any means on two wheels, but I think I could've done a lot worse. I certainly wouldn't recommend the 1200, but an 883 would probably do OK as a beginner's bike if one wanted to go that route.

It's all about mindset. That, and if you really aren't that comfortable riding, go out on back roads & putter along until you are. SAFETY FIRST.

And if you happen to run into some jack-off that wants to run his/her mouth that you're not riding like a real biker & I wasn't riding a REAL bike (Sportsters aren't a "real" bike), blah blah blah, tell them to cut the shit & to leave you alone. I had one asshole do that to me when I first started riding, some prick from Alabama or the like (bike had a southern plate on it). 99% of the guys I've met on the road are pretty good folks, but there's always that one or two that will probably be dicks.

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
I rode a friends X1, and boy what a hand full! If you even thought, corner, the bike would heal over and turn! Overall I felt intimidated by the bike, and I have been riding for close to 40 years!

fistfullabar

I learned to ride on the street on my 1200 Sporty. That was my mistake. I hit a pothole, and I inadvertently launched the bike (as much as I complained about it wheezing on the highway in my thread, down low it's bullshit for torque). It was not fun at all.

Other than that, it really, really wasn't THAT bad to learn on. I'm not talented by any means on two wheels, but I think I could've done a lot worse. I certainly wouldn't recommend the 1200, but an 883 would probably do OK as a beginner's bike if one wanted to go that route.

It's all about mindset. That, and if you really aren't that comfortable riding, go out on back roads & putter along until you are. SAFETY FIRST.

And if you happen to run into some jack-off that wants to run his/her mouth that you're not riding like a real biker & I wasn't riding a REAL bike (Sportsters aren't a "real" bike), blah blah blah, tell them to cut the shit & to leave you alone. I had one asshole do that to me when I first started riding, some prick from Alabama or the like (bike had a southern plate on it). 99% of the guys I've met on the road are pretty good folks, but there's always that one or two that will probably be dicks.
Why would a 140lb women want to ride a 600lb bike to learn on? Where are all the american dirt bike companies? I hope buell comes out with a smaller bikes. I guess its to hard to build a real motorcycle now days:confused:

Why would a 140lb women want to ride a 600lb bike to learn on? Where are all the american dirt bike companies? I hope buell comes out with a smaller bikes. I guess its to hard to build a real motorcycle now days:confused:
I'm 190lbs. & I like my Sporty. It's not that hard to muscle around. I don't even think it weighs 600lbs. Truth be told, I'm the furthest thing from a "biker", but my sportster as stock as it is is pretty "real" to me. It's gritty, it's basic, it's what a bike should be.

As much as I whine about my Harley, I'll f&ck any stock import bike stoplight to stoplight provided it isn't running on meth. Out on an open stretch is a different story.

I rode a friends X1, and boy what a hand full! If you even thought, corner, the bike would heal over and turn! Overall I felt intimidated by the bike, and I have been riding for close to 40 years!
I can understand that Cliff!

Lucky me, I progressed to owning the X1 and feel thankful to have enough competence to use 10% of what she can do - that 10% takes me 100% focus at all times. I have ridden her on the Tail of the Dragon in Tennessee and felt good there.

Growing up at the foot of the Blue Ridge mountains, I wanted to go around the curves. Dirt bikes were the starter course. Discovered countersteering and trailing brake turn-ins early on. On grass I rode a Trail Horse... then a 2-speed Sears, sometimes on the pavement... my brother let me on his torque-converter equipped Artic Cat, his Honda CT70 and Penton 175 Six Days.. Friend let me on a Kawasaki 125... Suzuki 185 Street/Trail... Yamaha 125 dirt bike... Honda Elsinore 250... Yamaha YZ250... RD350.

I bought a race-prepped Kawasaki KDX 250 and discovered I was meant to ride on the street - THAT bike was a handful for me! On pavement I went on to ride a 500 Mach III... H2 750... Honda SL70... An XR75 was a blast. Bought a couple of Honda SL175... CB175... and a CB350. Rode a 350 Four... 750 Four... early Goldwing... Yamaha TZ750 Widowmaker. Bought an XS1100 Special at age 19... rode that through the canyons above Bakersfield (rocks a foot from my face, I swear)... rode and raced Honda Interceptor 1000's... NR500... owned a V65 Sabre... rode a BMW R90... Laverda... Moto Guzzi... Harley Sportster... owned a FatBoy... rode a SuperGlide... Road King... CBR1000RR... Yamaha R1 and R6... newer Triumphs... a few drag bikes... a few liter road racers.

Still have a CT90 and a Cub, which are laid back fun bikes.

I dig asphalt bikes, and the X1 still makes me grin the biggest, maybe its the deep potato-potato sound it makes at idle, or the fact it chews off a 250 dollar back tire in 2,000 miles and I don't care. She's a handful, all right!

Last edited:
Man you got that right! One of my reasons to own a minibike is so I can start someone off just like I did on that Trail Horse. Simple and no great skill needed. After that, try the Cub and then the CT90 with the clone engine and its manual clutch 4-speed. Master those, and then a Rebel 250 or a Ninja 250 or 300 is next. A Sportster seems way heavy for a small, light person to learn on, though it can be done.

If Buell would build a 250 that might be fun!