Build a "Quad" from 4 5hp blocks

Anybody ever build a "composite" engine out of 5hp briggs?

I have been considering hooking two together to fire 180 out of phase to create "V2" engine.

Be simple to do this as a test, just attach the engines together with a 36 tooth double chain coupler.

In theory, this could be done to several engines.

I got this idea as a kid, as my dad had a 3 engine tractor pull tractor, and he had come up with a design which allows the engines to be precisely balanced via synchronizing the engines firing orders together. Essentially our of the 24 cylinders, 1 piston would be at TDC and the other at BDC (others would be close) so the engines would in effect have "sounded" like a V-24 engine.

there were probably some volumetric efficiencies to this idea, as well as other benefits as well.

Since Dad had built one of the first two tractors with twin engines (at least in the midwest) in 1972, I think he was on the right track there.

I think its a cool Idea, and It could be a monster If you can weld good, and use some reinforcments, (head girdle idea, but a block girdle) you could have a really cool machine

It can be done, Here's a Rupp that was running two Tecumseh engines, I not completely sure how he did it, But i saw the bike in person and it runs realy good, It's neat to see two engines working on one minibike.

How do they start multiple engines set up like that. Do all three or two have two start up at once, And what if one engine does not want to start for what ever reason. I never talk to the guy who did the Rupp on all the details of how he made it work.

How do they start multiple engines set up like that. Do all three or two have two start up at once, And what if one engine does not want to start for what ever reason. I never talk to the guy who did the Rupp on all the details of how he made it work.
Vern and his wife/girlfriend were nice people , heard he got out of minibikes in favor of guitars

Oldsalt

I feel another project coming on !!:hammer: Oldsalt has got to get in on this!!!
If you are really into a multi engine minibike PM me. I can detail what I think I learned that did not work. For one thing, I would not again attempt to chain two or more engines together. There are some reasons belts have to be used to avoid special problems that are not evident at first glance.

Vern and his wife/girlfriend were nice people , heard he got out of minibikes in favor of guitars
I emailed him this last summer because he did not go to Windber and I had some question about his yellow speedway bike,and he said he was selling of his bikes that did not have good suspension because of problems with his back and he was into guitars. He made some cool bikes I hope he does not give it up completely.