Building a quiet muffler...

I am curious if anyone has built a quiet muffler? I was going through the threads and saw someone was making a gas tank out of a small propane bottle. Well what about a muffler out of one? It already has a threaded end. I assume you can cut the end off and stuff it with something. Or just drill holes in the end. What are your thoughts? Kind of like a Super Bronc set up or maybe straight out the back?

Hey Randy I have thought about stealth mufflers too lol

My thought was to use a cheap aluminum water bottle , drill outlet holes in the end , stuff it full of steel wool and then slide the neck over the header pipe with a clamp to hold it :shrug:

Do you think the steel wool will hold up? I was thinking about some muffler wrap as well inside. Basically make it so the muffler screws onto the header pipe. And cut the other end(bottom of small tank) off. Weld two nuts to the inside and drill holes in the end to put bolts through that will screw into the welded on nuts. Then stuff and add holes to the bottom of the tank...... Does that make sense? Would it work? Would the wrap make it too restricted? Is there something else to use?

I would love to see a flowmaster type muffler created....rectangle alum box with delta chambers....oh the things I would create if I knew how to weld.

You can buy hi-temp exhaust packaging material that is made from stainless wool and it works pretty well. I have used fiber glass before and it never seemed to hold up for very long.

i made a Swiss muffler. REAL quiet at idle/part throttle but a good sound at full throttle. fiberglass will last a long time if using the right weave. all aluminum/stainless. will last a LONG time.

IJG

Make some prototypes & test them.

I know some of you fellers got the tools to make some prototypes'
I Theorize a 2 stage box setup as previously mentioned may work with the proper sized mesh inside,
& should muffle decibels by almost a 1/3 to almost half in a double box setup'
What do you think we could stuff in it with the mesh holding it all in layers?
Beaded glass/Marbles? Carbon Pellets? Just All mesh spaced in thin multiple layers? Volcanic Hydroponics pellet balls?
That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head' & Doubt any of them are a safe idea LOL :eek:ut:

I'm resurrecting this old thread.
I also want to make a super quiet muffler.
I know some of the portable generators are super quiet. Has anyone looked to see what is inside one of those mufflers?
Could one be welded to a header pipe and use it as it is?
I've never seen one that wasn't on the generator, I don't know what shape they are...

Danford1

Here's a prototype I worked up. This is just a small paint sample can. I cut a hole in it to fit over the threads and used some electrical conduit nuts to hold it in place on either side.
I purposely put the exhaust end in the cap so it would be easy to remove and change/adjust packing. I used some coarse steel wool.

It was way too quiet. I just went for a straight pipe instead.

IMG_3776.JPG

IMG_3777.JPG

I've been checking into gen set mufflers, and honestly most that I've read about all say that same thing. They are loud.
Did find one off the wall item about a way to quiet down the exhaust. Using an old super bike muffler. They are pretty quiet, and since most of the folks pull them off to install high flow versions you can pick them up for cheap. I just looked on Craig's List, and spotted a pair of them for $45.00

Funny, after you quite the exhaust, you'll be able to hear all the noise from the engine itself.

A few years back I made a muffler from VW Beetle "Pea Shooter" exhaust tips. I used 6 tips in a can with a 1" tube inlet and a 1 tube outlet. I have the muffler on my 7000 watt Gen set and the exhaust is so quiet I can hear the generator whirring.

i have a 13 hp ex-generator engine on my John Deere AMT, i am using an old steel cushman fuel tank as a muffler. chambered exhaust like a car muffler. should be quiet but flow well.

Any thoughts on an oil filled muffler? So the exhaust would come in and "bubble" up through the oil? Water would evaporate. Maybe oil could handle the heat. Would need to compartmentalize the tank to reduce sloshing?? Thoughts?