Building of the empire State Building 1929

No safety gear back then!, Safety and OSHA would have major fit today if you did that one a job site now a days. Back then they just grab the next guy in line waiting for a job if someone got hurt.

Last edited:
No safety gear back then!, Safety and OSHA would have major fit today if you did that one a job site now a days. Back then they just grab the next guy in line waiting for a job if someone got hurt.
Even back then not just anyone was permitted to go on the Iron. Less and less buildings are being made of Iron...Rebar and concrete is the highrise choice of buiding matererial these days.I am an Ironworker here in Chicago and worked on Trump tower...Its a fuze taller than the John Hankock.

I,m a Pipe fitter local 50 and I,m saying that there would be mandatory body harness with a 100% tie off and safety nets and all sorts of other fall protection on jobs now a days. Back then they didn't care like they do know.

Yeah we used to be able to tie off with our belts but if you fell the belt would make you suffocate from your body weight pressure so now osha says full body harness only.Yes you are correct they are mandatory.The times they are a changin.