Bypassing the Govenor on the stock 2.8hp

I need answers asap! How do you bypass the govenor on the stock 2.8hp or 2.9hp motor on a db30? I just heard about this, so I really wanna do this...HELP!:shrug:

Since there has been a few post about this subject lately and with a few things that have come up, I am making this post.

We, at OldMiniBikes, suggest that when removing your Governor on your 6.5 hp clone or True Honda engine (including all engines discussed on this forum), that you take precautions. By precautions it is suggested that you use proper after market parts to prevent personal injury and/or injury to others.

The use of, but not limited to, a Billet Flywheel and Billet Rod are highly suggest when using these engines for anything other than there intended use and intended RPM range by the manufacture.

All threads with questions/comments about using a stock engine with the governor removed, including modifying stock parts (fin removal..ect), without proper precautions will be LOCKED and a link will be referenced to this thread.

Anybody suggesting the use of a stock engine without proper precautions is doing so on there own accord.

The opinions expressed by members/users of this forum do not reflect the opinions or advise of OLDMINIBIKES.com, its Owner, or its operators.

For reference if you think it does not happen please review the following.

Thank You korndog of the use of your video. Flywheel failure around 6500 rpm slightly modified stock flywheel..
[youtube]7X_kJF8t4G0[/youtube]

Thank You Edwin for the use of the pictures. Flywheel failure same engine as above video

More Pics Thanks MiniDragBike for the use of the pictures.. Flywheel failure at about 6100 rpms slightly modified stock flywheel

Here is a Tec that had a rod failure. Found by Jeep2003 in another forum. Stock engine Gov removed

I will add more as I find them.. If you have more pictures of flywheel and rod failure please pm and/or add them here. Thanks

please read this

Okay the reason I need to know is becuase I am 15, and I am right in the middle of building a drag bike, and cannot afford another 6.5hp. So, to make my db30 faster for my sister to ride I wanna just bypass the goveneor becuse it'll be cheaper.:thumbsup:

Now that what bad can happen has been shown I'd like to address adjusting the governor-if the chain breaks or you forget going down hill, or you get knocked off the bike and the throttle sticks open then the governor is still working--I would not speed up a Doodle Bug motor more than 4200 rpms without knowing that more than 4200 your in the orange zone and now you know what happens if your motor is one of the less well built ones.

@clayon i took the governor out of mine, built a pipe for it and would hold that thing wide open all day, i was stupid and would lift the back tire off the ground and would it wide open.
you'll be fine, loosen the screw with the spring on it thats below the governor lever. just dont loosen it to much or the throttle wont work

ya leave the governor working it will save a life . well you see the pics and vid :censure:if i would sit on that when it lets go .

look up supernova on here he has a thread on improving the function of the governor on 2.8s
or look for a 3 hp or so briggs motor off a edger and put that on there . you more then likely can get one cheap or free check mower shops and repair places .

ya leave the governor working it will save a life . well you see the pics and vid :censure:if i would sit on that when it lets go .

look up supernova on here he has a thread on improving the function of the governor on 2.8s
or look for a 3 hp or so briggs motor off a edger and put that on there . you more then likely can get one cheap or free check mower shops and repair places .
My thread is for a clone but the same principal applies, the spring that connects the governer to the carb is weak and when strengthened it wont let the governer work as hard if at all. Any time you're messing with the throttle or anything that controls speed you should put the thing on a stand, get the spring too tigh and it'll be WOT and take off on startup. I gave up on the 2.8s and put a 3hp briggs on my 7yo daughter's DB, it takes off fine with my 210# behind on it and will top out at 35 given enough room. She is an experienced rider but her cousin who had never ridden rode it Thanksgiving day and did fine. It does'nt overwhelm you with power but is enough even for me to put-put around on. And it's a 1973 model never rebuilt, unless it's putr in a time capsule a lifan 2.8 would simply not last 37yrs and still run. Be careful and have fun!:thumbsup: