Can anyone double check my wiring?

I woke up one morning and decided I wanted to put electronics on my Overpowered Electra build.. Headlight, taillight, brake light, front/rear signals, and horn.

I bought an all in one switch from some kinda Honda bike with the turn signal switch, horn, and a headlight low/high beam switch all in one assembly. I took it all apart and it looks like I should be able to use the low/high beam switch as the on/off switch for the headlight and taillight instead if I wire it all in right. My friend gave me a relay off his Lifan which supposedly works but doesn't connect to the handlebar switch plug right. So I pulled it all apart and followed the wires to see where they went and with a little innovation and a little more irritation it should all work correctly if wired to the right connections. Oh yeah and I also bought an in-line fuse just in case a disaster strikes. :shrug: :eek:ut:

anyway, here's the rough diagram I put together. EDIT: fixed pic.

First question I have is with the relay, can I wire all the turn signal lights to the same one? or do I need one for each side?.

Also my hope was to have all the lights positive and negative all dump into the same battery ground and positive connections, I know it seems like common sense but it doesn't seem to be working out that way so far.

I started to wire the taillight yesterday and ended up wiring it so the light was ground before it reached the switch. So today I took another shot at it, made all new wires with the ground of the taillight and the ground on the switch spliced into the same wire connector. Then the positive end of the switch "on" wire is running to a split connector (for the headlight and taillight to join in) and into the fuse holder which goes to the positive end on the battery.

The current issue I'm having is that the taillight only comes on with the switch off, and now the fuse holder "blown fuse" light is on regardless. (as a side note without the taillight hooked up the fuse light turns on and off properly with the switch). I was thinking it was because I don't have a fuse in the holder yet so I grabbed some scrap wire and put it all together bypassing the fuse but it still did the same thing. Then I thought it was because my taillight's positive connector might be grounding out on the fender so I made sure the connection was all sealed up and still the same results.. I'm still new to this wiring fiasco so I'm sure it's a dumb mistake. :doah:

if anyone has some pointers they could throw at me that would really help me out. Thanks in advance. :eek:ut::thumbsup:

Last edited:

Neck

Growing up is optional
My first question is, why is there a ground running into the combination switch?
Second, why is there no ignition switch between the battery and the combination switch?
Third, is there a charging system or is this a total loss system?
The two pin turn flasher should be fused and put between the ignition switch and the combination switch.

1. thats a good point.. I don't really know what I was thinking there. :doah: I knew there would be a dumb mistake somewhere. shouldn't both the wires going in and coming out of the switch be positive, just like a toggle switch?

2. and 3. There's no charging system, The engine I'm using is a briggs 5 horse and lighting coils for those are hard to find. I was planning on charging it with the HF float charger like The_Ruppster_86 did here:

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/45533-lighted-mini-bike.html

Should the fuse go right before or right after the flasher? and would I be able to wire all the lights to one flasher or do I need one for each set? or one for each light? :shrug:

Neck

Growing up is optional
The fuse should be between the battery and the flasher, and from the flasher to the in side of the turn signal switch. This lets you use just one flasher. However, you may branch off the load side of the fuse for the head/tail lights and the horn as well as the turn signals on a simple system such as this.

Lad,

The positive wire for the brake light is before the switch, so it will be on permanently needs to move to the headlight wire - I think:shrug:
It also seems Like you go from ground all the way round to ground on the flasher system

Someone please check me :lol:

Last edited:
well there will be a brake light eventually but I didn't add it to the diagram. Thanks for the adjustments guys, ill give it a try a bit later when I get more wire. :doah:

Ill let ya know how it goes. :hammer: