Can I add a starter motor to am 8hp Tecumseh?

Did a search, nothing ...

I have a mid 70's Heald VT-8 that I would like to add a starter to.

It has the hump in the shroud ...

Is the motor an H80?
Do I need to tap the block?
What starter?
A snow blower starter with the starter button attached would be OK.

Suggestions, comments welcome.

Kevin

Does the flywheel have the teeth on it for a starter? Does it have a charging coil or you ok with having to charge the battery every now and then?

Kevin,
Heald apparently only offered the electric starter option/accessory on the Super Bronc V-10s. That being said, I believe that you COULD do it. I have attached the Parts Tree page below applicable to your engine, which is most likely the same as our Super Bronc VT-8. If you click on "Engine Parts List # 2" you will see the electric starter in the diagram and you can scroll down for the Tec part #. Same thing for the flywheel (You would need to replace your current flywheel for one with a ring gear to engage with the starter motor gear). While Parts Tree shows the OEM parts out of stock (no surprise) you can go to Ebay and get new electric starters and used flywheels with the appropriate ring gear. That would be an interesting project. make sure and post a build thread if you end up doing it.
Michael
Tecumseh HM80-155042A - Tecumseh 4-Cycle Horizontal Engine Diagrams and Parts List | PartsTree.com

I'm good with charging, I do it on my VT-10 ...

I ASSUME it has a starter ring ... I will need to pop the cover ...

so can it be done ect?
I added a starter on a tec engine on a generator with no problems. Mine did have the teeth on the flywheel. I got my starter off amazon.

Funny thing when my cousin and I got our gens at the same time, same brand, and at the same store (we both got them together). He went to put a starter on his and the flywheel didn't have the teeth. Made me look like a pretty good ass that day because I kept telling him he had everything after he ordered the same exact stuff I told him to.

The flywheel does not have a ring gear and the bosses are not tapped to mount the motor so it would be a project ... I will shelve the idea for now.

I thought I read that all VT-10's came with starter motors and some VT-8's came with them. It had something to do with weather they had motors in stock that day ... something like that ...

I thought I read that all VT-10's came with starter motors and some VT-8's came with them. It had something to do with weather they had motors in stock that day ... something like that ...
All of the Heald brochures I have read (you can find them online) state that the electric start was not available on the VT-8, and only as an option/accessory on the Vt-10.
Michael

i have a bunch of 8-s w flywheels and 1 yes 1 electric Battery operated starter.
i also have a pile of the electric house starters/the usual snowblower style.
pm or lmk if i can help,cheers.

Hi ludicrous speed!
The who thought was that the bike is for my 32 year old daughter ... between hwer finggers was bruised from pull starting ... i was checking what it would take to put a starter on it for her.

I have opted for a snowmobile pull handle ... that will be cheaper and easier ...

Thanks amigo!!

Kevin

The snowmobile pull handle came in .. the recoil was black and the air filter cover was grey, rattle can white is an improvement ...sorta ... white patina was all sold out ....