can these be water jet or plasma table cut?

markus

Dunno much about what it takes to have something like this done and if its gonna be worth it over me just cutting them out myself??

I just bought a box lot of Kickstands, 12 of them have a bracket setup that will not work for mini bike application, and I want to simply cut that part off and weld on a pre cut flat plate typical of many of the mini bike stands.

top is the current stand, bottom is a flat plate stand the sharpie lines pretty much show what I want to cut off the one and what I need the plate to basically be:

It is 1/8" dunno if something like this is somewhat affordable to have done over me spending time hand cutting the plates out of flatbar stock :shrug: I need 12 done at least, and it probably would not hurt to have more than that onhand for future use etc.. If anyone has any experience with that please give me some insight, Dunno where I would go locally for this type of work either, just need the plates I can do the welding/installation

I would think that making a dozen or so of the flat plates would be easy to do on a plasma table.

The peanut shaped mounting slot would be easy and the rest is just simple cutting.

If I had my table set up I'd do it just for some practice but I'm a ways off from cutting anything still.

Here is a site that might be able to help Custom Online CNC Machine Shop | Free CAD Software I have never used them but it might be just what you need.

markus

I would think that making a dozen or so of the flat plates would be easy to do on a plasma table.

The peanut shaped mounting slot would be easy and the rest is just simple cutting.

If I had my table set up I'd do it just for some practice but I'm a ways off from cutting anything still.

Here is a site that might be able to help Custom Online CNC Machine Shop | Free CAD Software I have never used them but it might be just what you need.
thanks for the info, I've seen talk about this stuff I just never seen the tables in use and what it takes to setup etc... Hopefully I can find someone local but I did spot a company on ebay thats actually on the other side of FL from me that sell various tabs and offers custom cut so if I strike out local I will give them a call. looks like say under $5 per tab from them for stuff they are showing so hopefully I can get something at least close to what I need for around the same or this project may not be worth the effort. technically I dont need the kidney shaped hole or even the same design, they just need to be a large flat area with a hole drilled in.

thank you :thumbsup:

can be laser cut and i will be making some more parts soon, if you havent gotten any by the time i get back to the shop by end of month, to cut some more parts, then i can prob do it using scrap 1/8"... its a good friends shop and laser, but I operate it myself and program/draw my own parts... while im there, i help him out too... once i set a date to get down to the shop, i would just need maybe a scanned pic, template (1:1) or something close to the dimensions you are looking for, or an actual part to duplicate... i have a ton of pics of parts i have designed and cut and parts ive done for other people to their exact specs, if you need them, so that you know, im not just talkin out my butt...

for somethin that small, would prob be about 1.50-3 (discounted price) per tab and all fit in a usps small box... i wont charge you for me to draft/program it... but the other $ will go to the shop

Last edited:

markus

LS let me know when you plan on going and I will send out some basic specs/scan, It truly does not have to be an exact duplicate as the flat plate on kickstands only look like they do because thats how they needed to be for when they pressed them into the W shape for bicycles. the mount hole should be in the same general area but thats really it.

I am testing right now, this little project is turning out to be more of a challenge than anticipated as not only does the plate have to be welded on and stand rebent for application, turns out this particular stand the detents are set at different angles too :doah: So I have to rebend the stand angle or use a stand from another style (which is actually working out to my advantage just burning up more $hoptime)

I took the little top plate that comes with the stands for bicycle applications and put it in my press and flattened it out, and used it for the plate on the one I did, It actually works pretty good, but I only have a limited number of those from other stands and I only have room in the shop for a dinky 6 ton press. Giving it all its got doesn't get it as flat or clean as I would like.

top is what the stand looked like, bottom is an "original flat plate" middle is what it looks like after cut that big U shape off and flattened and welded on of those plates sitting just to the right of it....and used a different arm

testing it on the lil indian before I go any further and detail it out:

markus

Never heard anything so I went ahead and found a local shop to help me with this. Just finished up all my hinges/bases that I wanted to modify for mini bike applications today. Took me a few hours of work to get them all grafted on, but I think they came out pretty good. V cut the joints, welded on both sides, ground, shaped, media blasted, etc..

the funky U shape pieces on the right are what I cut off the hinge plate, the 2 loose hinges on the left are original/factory unpressed hinges for comparison, the 12 in the center are all the ones I converted over the last couple of days :thumbsup:

underside compared to an original: