can't run without the choke

Don't know what happened but I wanted to go for a ride and my 6.5 Honda will not run when I take off the choke. It starts up fine warms up and then I can't open the choke all the way or it dies. If I stay on the gas it will but it will not idle.

cncd11

check your intake/carb gaskets for leaks you may be sucking in to much air which causes a lean condition, if your motor runs ok with the choke on then it is a fuel problem of running to lean.

More likely a dirty carb.

You should be filtering your fuel through a felt.
Use only fresh filtered gas from a can that never has anything but filtered fuel put in it.
Turn off your fuel valve and empty the bowl before parking.
Never store with fuel in the tank 30 days without adding somethinglike Stabil

I'm having slightly the same issue. My engine runs so great, but it won't start or Idle unless the choke is pulled out half way. I have to have it in the middle. I just bought a new bike with a honda 5 hp on it, and it was running horribly until i snagged a carb off my other honda engine. Now i'm just having problems with choking it. Same thing you think?

How would i fix my fuel from running too lean?

sounds like some off you also have issues with lean engines.

These engines has non adjustable carbs set at the factory for emissions.
You can make some improvements by switching to an adjustable air screw from an older carb ( or modify the one you have so you can get a screw driver on it ) and or increase the jet size ( drill ).

third option replace the carb with a small tilley like the 166 but keep the stock springs and be aware there is some risk running without a governer.

Forth possible option replace the carb with an older float type and adapt the honda linkages to keep the governer. A carb off a 7 hp tech or carter N might be a good starting place.

Don't know what happened but I wanted to go for a ride and my 6.5 Honda will not run when I take off the choke. It starts up fine warms up and then I can't open the choke all the way or it dies. If I stay on the gas it will but it will not idle.
Sounds like the same issue I had with my 5.5 ohv B&S, I rebuilt the carb and it cured the choke issue!

sounds like some off you also have issues with lean engines.

These engines has non adjustable carbs set at the factory for emissions.
You can make some improvements by switching to an adjustable air screw from an older carb ( or modify the one you have so you can get a screw driver on it ) and or increase the jet size ( drill ).

third option replace the carb with a small tilley like the 166 but keep the stock springs and be aware there is some risk running without a governer.

Forth possible option replace the carb with an older float type and adapt the honda linkages to keep the governer. A carb off a 7 hp tech or carter N might be a good starting place.
Hmmm well I put a new carb on it that i had on my other honda engine, and this one has the air screw. It's running alot better but still a little jumpy. Where could I find a tilley, and what exactly is it? As for the governer issue, I fully understand the risks. Well let me know. Hey and thanks very much!

Here's a clone with a Tillotson HL166
YouTube - northerbrewer's Channel
the engine ran like crap because it was made from... well crap but as you can see the carb is very easy to tune.

Tillotson HL-166B Carburetor

TILLOTSON HL-166B CARBURETOR on eBay (end time 28-Feb-10 11:30:41 GMT)

Rieken's Racing: Tillotson Carburetors - OUT2WIN.COM

This carb is very close in size to stock ( well a touch larger .625 ventury vs the stock .615 ). Odds are you would not realy notice a huge difference, but it should flow more at higher RPMs with a good air filter.

Oh ya and this was originaly a chain saw carb. So you may find this at a chain saw repair place for cheap.