Cart gas tank fab?

Fabbing up a cover, and then welding it to that thin, stamped sheet is going to be a real pain in the ass. And then making a filler neck & fabbing up an output is going to be kinda tricky too. And then you're left with a really big, ungainly tank that would probably be pretty hard to fit.

I'd recommend finding an expired fire extinguisher, there's a good deal of room in the big ones, and you can usually get them for free.

Well has anyone ever thought to get a stainless steel bowl and weld it to a plate for a behind the seat tank? You would have to add a filler hole and cap and a gas line outlet. Some thing like this is cheap and would hold a lot of gas.
Amco Houseworks 9 Quart Stainless Steel Mixing Bowl: Kitchen & Dining : Walmart.com
They sure look like bowls don't they. I'm thinking by the time you fabricate the bowl, rear plate, filler and cap, and fuel fitting, you'll have more in to it than the $100 re-pops. A tank sealing kit is about half the cost already.

Welding to thin gas tanks is not to easy
this tank on my Schwinn bike is an example, I cut the bottom out and brazed some sheet metal in so it would sit low on the frame and it proved to be hard to do and yes I had to seal the inside of the tank when done too. It can be done...good luck :thumbsup:

How about a big tank for your kart like this vintage one A friend of mine has it they say it was mounted in front of the driver and had a vinyl tube to show the fuel level. Put a great polish job on it and it would look so great on the right Kart.
Steve :scooter:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Last edited: