Cat clutch cover

I'm trying to remember what held the clutch cover on the Cat 250.I think it was two cheezo pieces of strap,with an L bent on each end with holes for the bolts.Unless they improved it I will wind up making something entirely different.Mine vibrated and broke off within a couple of weeks when it was new.My cover went in the shed and stayed there until I decided to redo the bike last year.That's probably what saved it,if it had broken off in the woods the cover would have stayed there.Did Cat ever improve that setup? If not I will just make something up,not a big deal.

Mac

....These are of my Cat Slingshot cover brackets,
they bolt down to the top of the engine mounting bolts:

Mine didn't go down to the engine mounting bolts.Mine went to a couple of the engine side cover bolts,that's where they broke.I found I still have the broken tab from the engine side,but I must have thrown the actual brackets away.I think I'm going to make something along the lines of what you show.

Well,I thought I would make a pair of braces like Mac shows,but I got shot down pretty quick.The bosses for the oil fillers are right in the way.I might get away with something Z shaped in the front,but the rear actually has a casting protrusion directly in the way.I guess I am back to doing it the way Cat did in 69.This time though they will be beefier.I have to set the clutch cover out more than original too.My original clutch was held on with set screws,the new one is held on by a bolt in the end of the crank.

george3

Well,I thought I would make a pair of braces like Mac shows,but I got shot down pretty quick.The bosses for the oil fillers are right in the way.I might get away with something Z shaped in the front,but the rear actually has a casting protrusion directly in the way.I guess I am back to doing it the way Cat did in 69.This time though they will be beefier.I have to set the clutch cover out more than original too.My original clutch was held on with set screws,the new one is held on by a bolt in the end of the crank.
oem was out a bit further than just to the crank it had room just enough for the bolt. shaped streight and short 90 on both ends L connected to the crank cover bolts. 1/20 hole 1 side the other had #10 screw.

Mac

Well,I thought I would make a pair of braces like Mac shows,but I got shot down pretty quick.The bosses for the oil fillers are right in the way.I might get away with something Z shaped in the front,but the rear actually has a casting protrusion directly in the way.
....OK, Here's a closeup or two:

....Front.............................................................Rear....

You can look at the diagrams of later designs and get an idea of the locations in which the "L" brackets attached to the clutch cover and engine.

That's what I had.They didn't last any time at all.I like the idea of making something along the idea of Macs.I've been down in the shop mocking up pieces to see what will fit,but I can't come straight out from the engine mount bolts.The side cover casting is in the way.I bet a different casting would fix that.The front I can probably notch the strap,but on the rear there is a cast nub that sticks out under the oil filler cap.I have two filler caps.I don't have to set the cover out much,just the thickness of the bolt head and washers under it.I do still have my original clutch,it is a two shoe,with two coil springs,and was held on the crank with two set screws 90 degrees apart.There was no bolt in the end of the crank.It was 40 years ago now that I used to work on it,but I can be sure there was no bolt because of the clutch cover.It has a circle ground into it by the clutch,but no grinding in the center like there would have been with a bolt.The original clutch is way too far gone to rebuild or I would use it.My engine is like the one in the diagram,except the intake and exhaust are reversed on mine.It is just like my original,I still have scars from the muffler on the inside of my right leg.Right now I am trying to make up an original KD 200 brake caliper out of pieces.

george3

You can look at the diagrams of later designs and get an idea of the locations in which the "L" brackets attached to the clutch cover and engine.
Mine were like that on the 72 cat 300X they were heavy duty maybe remakes of the oem. I dont know but they were thick, a bit thicker but not as wide as the ones mac has. in fact the front and back looked like the front short 90.

my eliminator has the original cover brackets that mount to the side of the block. i need to find 2 more for my cat400x. quess ill have to try to make them or try something else..

True. Some covers even attached along the top and side.

Most "L" brackets I have are the heavier ones that would be hard to bend.

Here are similar brackets from an Endura model. They are the same gauge as the smaller ones.