Cat Tank

I've got this Cat gas tank and the plastic is oxidized pretty bad, and plastic polish or anything else I've tried doesn't do any good. Has anybody here ever painted a plastic tank? I thought maybe some of that paint for plastics might work.

45t

Ace Hardware has a paint called Fusion. I bought a can of Fusion gloss black to paint a white plastic Tec tank black. I have yet to try it. The associate at ACE said that paint will fuse with the plastic but he couldn't gurantee that the paint would hold up/not stain, if gas is spilled on it.

I had some discoloring on my Cat tank too. I used a lil meguires quick detail and it took care of some of the areas. It actually looks pretty good now. Not a permanent solution by any means, but it did make it look better.

I have used Fusion paint before it works really good, but I have never used it where gas would be around it.. i would test some first on something else, and then see what happens when you get some gas on it..

The fuel vapors will leach through the plastic and destroy your paint.
All KRYLON Fusion does is adhere better to plastic than most average enamels.

You must seal it from the inside.
Caswell Inc. - Epoxy Gas Tank Sealer
Yeah, I thought about that. I remember back in the 70s when dirt bikes were first showing up with plastic tanks, we couldn't keep the decals on due to that.

I think I'll try your method and paint it. It's no good like it is.

You would be surprised. I've seen some pretty talented work done on ATV plastic in the past. Almost as if the erase a full layer off the top and come out with a like new piece. Hard to find someone that will do little specialty jobs like this though.

You're going to have to roughen up the interior of the tank though, to help the coating adhere or stick to it better. This is good stuff though, no pealing off, or flaking.

There is a guy on here that gave me some pointers on this stuff...can't remember who it was off the top of my head. Pretty sure he had a beard, and is somewhat of a celebrity in the west coast mini bike world...

Good luck buddy, and share your "how I did it's" on here. In the future more people will be using this stuff.

cd

iv had good luck wet sanding the oxidized layer off then shine it up again with meguires back to black. definatly try that before painting it

There is a guy on here that gave me some pointers on this stuff...can't remember who it was off the top of my head. Pretty sure he had a beard, and is somewhat of a celebrity in the west coast mini bike world...

Good luck buddy, and share your "how I did it's" on here. In the future more people will be using this stuff.

cd
:wink: :thumbsup:

If it is smooth wet sand it to 1500 grit and buff it, not rocket science they use to have a class in JR high years ago Plastics... amazing today none of the good stuff is even taught in school now days.. But on the tank if you do not have a buffer and scared wet sand it down to 2000 grit and hand polish it with a light compound then wax and you will be looking good!

Last edited: