Chain keeps breaking

Not the chain itself, just the master link. Still kind've annoying lol.

Alight so i finally got some free time to help my little bother get his Gokart together and going, especially since there's a snow storm tomorrow and i just bought snow tires for him. The old clutch was shot so we went to a hobby shop and picked up a new clutch / chain / and master links, and after a few minutes riding it keeps busting the master link?

I noticed some play side to side in the clutch even after i tightened down the retaining bolt the whole way, any ideas why? I'm pretty sure this is why it's throwing the chain every time.

I thought about picking up a washer with 3/4" ID and using it as a spacer to keep the clutch from walking on the output shaft, will this work?

buckeye

You puting the master link in right?
The closed in the direction of the chain travel.
And the movement of the clutch may cause this as well.

motocycle

Hi,

Good to see a new member.

If you have a condition that the sprockets are losing alignment, yes, you will have chain trouble. Take the play out and check your alignment.

Just seems odd that only the master link is causing your trouble. Maybe, just double check that you put all the pieces of the master link in. I saw an instance where a guy left out the removable side plate and just put the link in and the retaining clip. Hey, this can be done and it has happened; and it definitely won't work without the removable side plate. (That is just the washer with the two holes in it). As I say, I saw this happen before.

I just came across a similar problem with a max tourque clutch. I believe the clutch came with a small key that measured approx 1/2" long. The directions said use a key 1/2" long max. Said to only use the key and washer and bolt of you have a threaded shaft. I put the key on the shaft....slid the clutch on and tightened up the bolt. Was good to go for a few test runs. Then i noticed the clutch moving on the shaft back and fourth approx 1/4" to 1/2".
Thought maybe i sheard the key. Pulled the clutch and all look fine....except that my key had slipped down the shaft(outward)inside the clutch keyway. no leaving me with that play. The only way I could see to keep the keyway in place was the set screw. But the directions said to not use one..........:shrug:
I ditched there advise and cut a key way that took up the entire keyway cut into the clutch. Now it can move. Problem solved. Suppose the set screw would have stopped the key from moving in the first place.

Does anyone know why they dont want you to use a setscrew if your have a threaded shaft and are keeping the clutch on with a washer and bolt? seems silly to me.

I've only got an 1/8" of play, but yeah the clutch sprocket will ride outward toward the wheel and, bam chain pops. I just finished making a spacer that i'm going to put between the bolt/washer and face of the clutch. I actually used hacksaw and cut a small 1/8" piece off of the nose of the old clutch, perfect fit.

I read another thread on here about improving the master link, i'm going to give some high test fishing line a try.

I forgot to mention that it only blows the chain if you give it gas cutting the wheel.

That fixed my problem, the clutch can't walk and it's a blast! No the rear sprocket wasn't warped or anything.

We took this for a ride because we got a few inchs of snow today, loadddds of fun. :thumbsup: