Chain Tensioner Idea

Just thought I'd share this idea.....

I just put a 4.0 hp Subaru Robin engine on one of my baja mini bikes. I didn't slot the engine mount holes and found that I didn't have the chain tensioning adjustability that I wanted. I decided to go to a larger diameter chain tensioner to give me this flexibility. I found that skateboard or rollerskate wheels work great (they even have bearings) in place of the stock black roller.....my only other advice is to try to avoid some of the softer skateboard wheels.....harder is better.....also, you can put a huge washer in front and back of the wheel to help keep the chain on the new tensioner.....

Somebody here already did that. They used a skateboard wheel, a piece of metal with a pivot in the middle and a spring to pull it tight. Ill try and find the picture.

delray

after seeing them on my doodle bug couple years ago i found some roller blades with high speed bearings and very hard tires. i machine some out with a grove in them for the chain to stay in place and they work great and also they make less noise then a bearing type sprocket:thumbsup:

i made my chain tensioner adjustable , it has a roller wheel but the arm is on a spring and now there is no bucking when i take off from a dead stop it is all smooth .