chances of a clones flywheel exploding?

Yea so I've been looking into buying a 6.5hp clone for my doodlebug and I've seen some people on here bashing the clones flywheel. Is it really that unsafe? Im not intending to take the governor off so it should be all good, right? :scared:

running it stock with the gov working it will be fine . its when you start to push the motor past what it was made to do . then you need to up grade parts , to the better stuff .

Yea so I've been looking into buying a 6.5hp clone for my doodlebug and I've seen some people on here bashing the clones flywheel. Is it really that unsafe? Im not intending to take the governor off so it should be all good, right? :scared:
EVERYTHING on a Chinese anything is made from inferior materials to make them cheaps possible.. I would not remove the governor for ANY PRICE without at least an after market rod and flywheel, or you're Flirtin with disaster..

Realisticly you want to avoid running a clone at an RPM where the rime speed is high enough to tear the magnet loose. Thats the beiging of the troubles ( only held in place with glue and a brass screw ).

The actual burst speed is the great unknown because of the quality of the iron.

There are things you can do to improve the performance of a clone without exceeding the safe limits of the stockj flywheel but its a touchy subject because no one is quite sure where that number is.

I feel if you can keep them governed under 5000 rpm your not luckly ( not a typo likely or lucky ) to ever have a problem. But If I sugest thats safe and a magnet breaks loose and wedges between the ignition coil and flywheel shattering it then its quiet likely I would face a liability issue in US courts.

So use comon sence
better yet use better parts.

With or without a governor...there is always the possibility of it coming apart. The lower RPM's allow for less damage so keeping it is a wise choice. And he is correct..better parts make a difference. But much like car engines..stuff breaks and there is no way sometimes to predict it.:thumbsup:

With or without a governor...there is always the possibility of it coming apart. The lower RPM's allow for less damage so keeping it is a wise choice. And he is correct..better parts make a difference. But much like car engines..stuff breaks and there is no way sometimes to predict it.:thumbsup:
I get my clone parts from a service depot.
All of them are blown.

To date I have not seen one flywheel failure.
All the failures I am aware of come from over torquing the flywheel nut ( causes cracking ) or over reving and throwing the magnet.
Some people have tested these and run them significantly higher than they were design and not burst a flywheel. The real danger is the magnet wedging into the coil ad breaking up the engine. I have a little more faith in Honda parts but they suffer from the same design issue as the clones. They rely on a brass screw and glue to hold the magnet in place.

These engines are safe and reliable when run within the designed rpm range.
Mechanical failures generaly come around oil loss because of leaks.
Bolts backing out from vibration.
Dirt lack of mainitnace.
fuel system issues.

Last edited:
I have personally seen 3..1 governed..2 without. Again..never say never. But the odds are basically in your favor that you will never have to worry about it if you dont tinker with it. And I agreed..better parts are just common sense. But nothing in life is 100% guaranteed.

Personally I would use the billet parts (flywheel, con. rod, ect.) but it depends, lots of my buddys run there clones and other motor un governed all the time, but they don't run em wide open ever, they might get up to 5000rpm but not to 6500rpm where it is supposed to be unsafe. But still better be prepared, things aren't made like they used to.