Change of plan. My real HORNET entry.

I recently got this Hornet from OldMiniBikes member Casey Davis. (Thanks again Casey.) This is "now" my official entry for the Build-Off. I want to keep the Jack-Shaft which means there's not enough room to use a Clone engine so I'll be looking for a Tecumseh engine.

I haven't had time to start on it since picking it up except to put some penetrating lube on the Jack-Shaft locking screws. If the locking screws on the Jack-Shaft don't come loose I might jump ship and go with a clone. I really don't want to cut off the Jack-Shaft mounts though.

Man, that thing already looks better! I'm really looking forward to seeing updates from time to time. Good luck with the build.

cd
Thanks. When I can get time away from work I'm going to be looking for someone to re-chrome the handle bars to keep me inspired. Hopefully I can finish the Build-Off.....if I don't I'll still post the progress.

Scottessey

Nice bike. That should make for a cool restore! That was very generous of CD. :thumbsup:

A friend of mine had one when I was a kid and it really had a nice ride to it.
Good to know. I've been thinking of picking this beater up from a friend. I'll be watching the progress here to figure out where to start. :doah:

February Update

Between putting in lots of time at the job and having several family crisis'; I haven't had time to get any work done on my BUILD-OFF entry. But I have managed to get a few parts including a $99.00 Predator Engine that I will try to use if I can keep the use of the jack-shaft. If not I'll probably be looking for a Tecumseh Engine to use. Any way here's my progress so far.......

That Predator will need raising quite a bit and the exhaust and airbox will have to go and a remote tank as well to clear the tall jackshaft brackets. Mine came with a new blue clone half ass crammed in it and it was never going to work the way the dude had it. A tecumseh or briggs with flojet or aftermarket carb fits just fine. Just wanted to point this out so you can procure an engine.:thumbsup:

March Update: Predator won't fit the frame

I replaced the front tire and found a way to keep the jack-shaft operational for use with a Predator Engine by messing with the mounts, but the gas cap is wedged under the frame and I wouldn't be able to get gas in the tank. So I guess I'll have to use an HF Greyhound. The Greyhound does not run though....... the carburetor is clogged up; so I'll have to take care of that before repainting the frame.

The Predator looks good to me:

But can't get gas in the tank:

So I'll use an HF Greyhound:

There's room for the gas cap with the HF Greyhound

buckeye

May be a dumb question but, can you do anything about the height of the cap. Cut the inlet down a little. I have no clue, that engine just looks good on there.