Changing oil minus filter

Changin oil in a 3.5 and read their should be 1/2 a quart in it I didn't get that much out of it!! What's up with that?
Clue me in?
I hate still being a new bee!
FRANK

Motra

Where did you drain it from? The drain plugs are at the center of the engine so if the bike is leaning on the kickstand part of the oil will puddle in the low side of the engine. After you remove the drain plug keep the bike upright and and even pick up the front or rear of the bike slightly so the drain plug is at the lowest level it can be. Example: if you pull the front plug lift the back of the bike a little - not much. If you tip a gallon of milk on its side, all the milk won't come out because the opening won't be at the lowest point.

different route

lets go a different route hear not getting an answer to the question .
Here's another have oil dripping from the exhaust pipe after it's started about 3 min. changed the head gasket didn't see anything to worry about now this.
:censure: pain in the:censure:
Frank

oil to the top of the threads is overfull.....should be at the bottom of the threads if it has no dipstick on the end of the plug.....if it's supposed to have a dipstick then you are WAY overfull...I'm not real familiar with the Briggs....
....overfilling will cause all kinds of windage/blowby/oil pumping problems.

Last edited:
KKart, Yes I filled to the top of the threads. will take some out!.
There is oil on top of the piston.
do ya think if I take some out and put head back on I can overcome this problem. Could it get past the piston??
Thinking it might be a oil ring problem????
I did take the vaccum off the carb,
New carb wasn't equipped to accept it ran it down at the bottom of the engine.
Thanks FRANK

oil to the top of the threads is overfull.....should be at the bottom of the threads if it has no dipstick on the end of the plug.....if it's supposed to have a dipstick then you are WAY overfull...I'm not real familiar with the Briggs....
....overfilling will cause all kinds of windage/blowby/oil pumping problems.

like I said not as familiar with the Briggs as I am the tecumsehs but I would not run vacuum to the crankase...if it's like a Tec it should just have a crankcase breather to relieve the pressure..without one the oil can "pump" back up past the rings to the combustion chamber...

try lowering the oil level to the very bottom of the the threads on the fill hole...this may solve alot of your problems....