Chassis construction question

While spending a few moments in the outdoor refrigerator (aka "the shed") I noticed that the front "axle" tube on my old Manco is tweeked at both spindle hanger ends, no doubt due to being thoroughly enjoyed by the previous owner(s).
I'm thinking that as I was planning on replacing the beat-up spindles anyway it would be easier to attach new hangers to a new tube and replace the whole shebang.
The question I have is what size ID (1" OD) should I use on the "axle" tube, and do I need something tougher than mild steel?

Last edited:
On you Manco is this a straight tube axle or is it a dropped axle ? I think ether way a section of 1 inch Dom 1020 with a wall thickness of 0.095 si what I would use.
BMI sells the new spindles and brackets all new. Steve :scooter:

On you Manco is this a straight tube axle or is it a dropped axle ? I think ether way a section of 1 inch Dom 1020 with a wall thickness of 0.095 si what I would use.
BMI sells the new spindles and brackets all new. Steve :scooter:
Straight tube.
I wouldn't be adverse to buying the tube w/hangers attached (22" end to end) from wherever I got the spindles but I can't find anyone on-line that sells 'em that way.

And I doubt that you will find a source that will do that without a substantial shop fee attached. Your in the NASCAR territory should be an easy task to find a small chunk of tubing and find a welder who can weld it too
Steve :scooter:

And I doubt that you will find a source that will do that without a substantial shop fee attached. Your in the NASCAR territory should be an easy task to find a small chunk of tubing and find a welder who can weld it too
Steve :scooter:
I've seen 'em sold assembled in older catalogs, they aren't currently carried.
I got a buddy who's a damn good welder, so I just need the tube.
Not having as much luck finding someone local with a tube bender that'll do 3/4" OD tube , I also need to replace the front bumper/nerf bar as well.