Cheap VS expensive clutches.

I've been having some idle problems and I'm pretty sure I overheated my clutch spring.. So the spring is supposed to go straight when taken out?

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on expensive clutches VS cheap amazon ones. I can get a Jeremywell brand from Amazon for $20 or a Comet brand unit for $70+ locally. The one pictured is "max torque" and I remember it being around $80.

Attachments

Triley41395

I've been having some idle problems and I'm pretty sure I overheated my clutch spring.. So the spring is supposed to go straight when taken out?

Anyways I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on expensive clutches VS cheap amazon ones. I can get a Jeremywell brand from Amazon for $20 or a Comet brand unit for $70+ locally. The one pictured is "max torque" and I remember it being around $80.
You can get a max torque for under 50 bucks. Don't buy junk. The possibility of a amazon clutch being bad is very likely. Just get a max torque and ride.

SAS289

How old is it? If the shoes, drum, hub and bushing look ok you may be able to get away with just replacing the spring.

Make sure you are geared well and don't baby the throttle. You need to engage and go. A lot of stop and go riding will also overheat a clutch.

You can get a max torque for under 50 bucks. Don't buy junk. The possibility of a amazon clutch being bad is very likely. Just get a max torque and ride.
I think i've seen them for around that price but I think maybe it a fake? I just watched a video and max torque is made in the USA, i didnt know that but also now Im seeing that comet is too, I could just get a spring...

How old is it? If the shoes, drum, hub and bushing look ok you may be able to get away with just replacing the spring.
Its been kicking around for awhile but it doesn't have a lot of time on it. I was just thinking about that there looks to be a lot material left and it spins freely... the bushing is good but not great. I saw you can different engagements... I only ride in the woods and not very fast. maybe keeping standard would be the best?

Maybe consider a larger rear sprocket while you have it apart. That will reduce some clutch slippage and heat.
Yeah I actually did that, I changed the gearing... kind of drastically. I had read somewhere i'd need 7:1 gearing and I was way wrong. I changed some to get 12:1 now... maybe too much but its a start for now

Triley41395

I don't think 12:1 is what you have. If you buy a clutch go to Hent at the top of the page. If you ride trails and woods sounds like you need a torque converter.

I don't think 12:1 is what you have. If you buy a clutch go to Hent at the top of the page. If you ride trails and woods sounds like you need a torque converter.
I was a bit off on my numbers but I've been thinking about a torque converter... Pictured is what it was and is now.

I did see the price on Hent's site for the max torque, I like the their price for a whole new one but out the door is $50. I noticed they don't sell the just the clutch spring unfortunately. Im being stingy so I think im going to buy a spring to two.

Attachments