Chicagoland HELP - HS40

I have been restoring a Thunderbird minibike with a Tecumseh HS 40 engine and have a problem that is still not resolved.

When I first got the bike, I pulled the engine, cleaned it up and was able to start it. it would run then die. It only had a priming carb on it, so I bought and installed a new adjusting carb onto the engine. Since that installation, I have not been able to get it started. Last I checked, there was no spark at the plug. I have put on new points, new condenser and new coil. I have had it to two different small engine repair guys, who have gapped the points correctly and they still cannot get it to start (still no spark).

What are we missing? Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that can take a look at it (I can either drop it off or we can look at it together)?

I really want to get this bike going as the weather gets better.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Nick

I have been restoring a Thunderbird minibike with a Tecumseh HS 40 engine and have a problem that is still not resolved.

When I first got the bike, I pulled the engine, cleaned it up and was able to start it. it would run then die. It only had a priming carb on it, so I bought and installed a new adjusting carb onto the engine. Since that installation, I have not been able to get it started. Last I checked, there was no spark at the plug. I have put on new points, new condenser and new coil. I have had it to two different small engine repair guys, who have gapped the points correctly and they still cannot get it to start (still no spark).

What are we missing? Is there anyone in the Chicagoland area that can take a look at it (I can either drop it off or we can look at it together)?

I really want to get this bike going as the weather gets better.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Nick
download this:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

check the kill switch wiring, make sure the flywheel hasn't ground off
the insulation.

a common assembly error with the older tecumseh engines is to reverse
the two skinny coil wires. one goes to ground the other to the junction
of the points and condensor. if you reverse them you get no spark.

download this:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehlheadmanual.pdf

check the kill switch wiring, make sure the flywheel hasn't ground off
the insulation.

a common assembly error with the older tecumseh engines is to reverse
the two skinny coil wires. one goes to ground the other to the junction
of the points and condensor. if you reverse them you get no spark.
Not my thread but thanks for the manual. Exactly what I was looking for :thumbup:

Sacha

It lives !!!

Many Thanks to ATKRIDER :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I took my wayward Tecumseh HS40 out to him, and we worked on it for a couple hours. Got it not only to spark, but start and run pretty well. It appears that when one of the other two repair guys I had look at it took it apart, they installed the offset ring that opens and closes the points backwards. It would have never fired, because the points were opening completely reverse time from when they should.

So, the engine starts up, the chain is mounted and the bike goes out for a test ride (thanks to ATKRIDER's stepson) and when he hits a rut in the yard......
BOTH UPPER FORK TUBES BREAK!!!! SON OF A BI***........

Not the young man's fault, it appears as though they were cracked (which couldn't be seen under the spring housing (will post pics later when I take them).

So now I either have to find a set of forks (good luck with that), or more than likely, I will buy a couple pieces of pipe to match what was there originally, cut out the old pieces and weld in the new pipes to make new upper fork tubes.

I am beginning to think this bike just doesn't want to be ridden any more!!!!

Again a great big thanks to ATKRIDER (Bill) for all his work and guidance. If any of you out there need work done, this is the guy to call!

Nick