Chopper conversion parts for baja heat?

GTLabs

I did a quick search but didn't find it. Spare me my n00bidity with the chassis ;). Are there chopper upgrades for bajas? I'm looking for extended forks, ape hangers, and wheels for it. A seat, torq-a-verter, brake, and new belt drive round out the mods I've been looking at. Oh, don't forget wheels and tires. I'd like to convert this little thing into a "stretched" chopper without having to go with major frame mods. Any help would be appreciated. I'll log the project and E85 work in the appropriate forum. This will help get me started, though. I'm actually not worried about the motor as much as everything else attached to it. I don't need a 100mph+ drag bike, but I'd like to see just what these little Honda clones can do on alcohol and it needs an awesome looking chassis to go into.

Cheers!
G

pretty much everything you want to do will have to be fabricated. kbs8ball on here can make you a custom seat and the TAV will bolt onto a 6.5 clone.

GTLabs

This is going to sound like I'm talking a lot of crap. But, it'll keep you guys occupied while I search here some more. The scooter-like size, engine displacement, and kart/atv/scooter parts combinations that are possible are what attracts me to these little things. Keep reading if you want to play "Monst--err..."Critter Garage" :hack:.

AME Chopper Kit Installation for Harley Davidson, Honda Chopper, Custom Chopper Motorcycle - chopper-kit.co.uk

It can't be that costly for a few tubes, shocks, adapters, and plates for the rake job. I'd probably spend have to spend $300 on it pretty easily. Lay it on me what you'd like to see for chopper kits and stuff for these things. I know good fabricators in town that could do this but haven't worked my way over to ask them for help. CAD designed and water cut parts aren't out of the question here at all :hammer:. Please take that offer seriously. I'm still on a learning curve with this chassis and never took one of these little things this seriously. Will these frames hold up or am I better off with a true custom chassis?

We're not out to beat Hayabusas ;). Scooters are another story. They look stupid, they stink, and they're slow. I think one of these can look better, handle just as good, and go faster using a biofuel. I just want to do this project really well as a miniaturized showcase for E85 and ethanol blends. I'll worry about the motor if you guys can help me with a chassis that will hold up to 250lbs a few thousand hours worth of service life. I've stewed about this idea for a long time and could never stand to have some kind of standard upright scooter :weld::grind::thumbsup:

Are there flaws in the baja chassis preventing real performance from the little thing? Is the steering neck a weak point or do the welds like to rust or vibrate apart? I want to do this right and use a small 1 cylinder kart-like setup that will do 35-55mph without straining and not be a pain in traffic. Wiring for signals, lights and whatnot is not hard. What else prevents registration for road use as a scooter?

I'd like to use as many direct swaps as possible as far as the driveline. There's everything I could ever dream of for the motor but it looks like chassis stuff is a little lacking. Pocket choppers are cool, but I want something just a touch bigger that is indeed more scooter-like.

Last edited:
you seem to have a very good idea of what you want to do. i say go for it because i'd really like to see what kind of cool shit you could come up with for the DB.

if you don't want to start with a DB it would be easy enough to do a custom frame. it seems like you and people you know could pull this off pretty easily.

GTLabs

It's the angle I'm looking at it from. Most guys would quietly stew and build but I wanted to see if there was a market for something like this. An efficient, cool looking scooter that gets really good mileage. It wouldn't stink. There's an advantage of lots of torque and evaporative cooling with E85. It is NOT corrosive like methanol. Combined with water, both ethanol and methanol become acidic and separate from gasoline and eat up parts. 12-15hp and 20ft/lbs doesn't seem unreasonable and would make a little 150lb scooter kind of fun. I wanted a common chassis for this on purpose.

Input from rabid enthusiasts is what will help make this happen. I'm not building a $100,000 bike! I will build a custom scooter for less than $1000, though. I know this can be done and I'm still honing in on the right parts for a long service life, not 100mph+ speeds. Can we get 50mpg?

Last edited:

GTLabs

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7eIW2TPytg[/YOUTUBE]

These little things are cool and all, but I need something a bit bigger and something Baja-like just fits the bill. Is a TAV my best option to hold the power or is a belt/chain drive still a better option? 50mph+ out of one of these with just a TAV sounds a little nuts. How reliable is it?

GTLabs

I've found a few cool little pieces and trinkets. It's a canvas as much as a rideable toy. I don't want an unrideable showpiece. A teardrop tank is one thing that comes to mind. A fatboy or softtail style seat with a sissy bar. Street legal lights and the raked fork. :thumbsup::weld::grind::eek:ut: