Clone Drive Sprocket Question

I wanna get some more top end speed on my bug. Currently I have a 12 tooth drive sprocket. The engine is a 6.5 clone totally stock with no mod's. What would be your recommendation for the maximum amount of speed without to much loss of hill climbing power? I'm thinking 14 tooth.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Honestly, if ur gonna spend the $$ on a clutch, why not just change the rear sprocket? prolly cheaper.You said bug, so a doodle ight? Then just get the adapter and try some split sprockets! prolly the same price or cheaper in the long run!:thumbsup::scooter:

oh then you can easily change gearing depending on where ur gonna ride!

Honestly, if ur gonna spend the $$ on a clutch, why not just change the rear sprocket? prolly cheaper.You said bug, so a doodle ight? Then just get the adapter and try some split sprockets! prolly the same price or cheaper in the long run!:thumbsup::scooter:

oh then you can easily change gearing depending on where ur gonna ride!
I'm sorry if this sounds noobish but what is the adapter/split sprocket you speak of?:shrug:

Thats not noobish. This is one, there are a few different patterns for your look. Then pick one of these pending on your gearing. I think a stock DB is 70T, lower the count for more top end while higher means more low. yo want more top, maybe try the 68 or 65 tooth. But you will lose a lil low end:thumbsup: hope that helps:scooter:

Hent beat me to it

Last edited:

TomH

I would do a 60 tooth on the back with a stock clone. You will still be able to max out and bounce off the governor top end, but still have enough climbing power to not burn up your clutch. Probably 35MPH maybe little more top end.

I would do a 60 tooth on the back with a stock clone. You will still be able to max out and bounce off the governor top end, but still have enough climbing power to not burn up your clutch. Probably 35MPH maybe little more top end.
Would you do that with a 12 tooth drive sprocket?

Would you do that with a 12 tooth drive sprocket?
Yes, mine is a 12/66 and at 3600 revs I see 33mph or so so a 60 out back would provide more top end at the top of a stock governed clone. There are gear ratio calculators like Rawges top speed calculator online that will tell you how fast you can go at any given RPM level. Gotta measure the tire height to get an accurate reading or you're still guessing, nobbies sit higher than turf savers so that alone can effect the number it spits out. It's funny to hear folks claim outrageous top speeds with stock engines 2.8 and 6.5, maybe they got that one in a million with a "extra turn of speed" like Herbie.:laugh: I make a few more revs than stock but will never divulge how, it's my extra turn of speed.

Last edited: