coil bind concern

bandit 40

Alright everyone here it goes ,I have A concern issue on my clone. I have the .256 not modified AGK cam, billet retainers, 18pd springs, stainless valves, chrome molly push rods And stock rockers for the moment, because with the 1.2 rockers, and that lift ratio .265 gives me .318 which is for sure COIL BIND. with the same cam and the stock rockers, I can get a feeler guage in the springs with still .007" with no coil bind but close .Does anyone know if this is an acceptable number at a high RPM? Or should I get the 26pd springs, that way I could use my 1.2 rockers as well with no binding issue at all. Or stay with stock rockers? Any help, or input on this would be greatly appreciated :doah::doah::doah: Thank You Bandit 40.......

bandit 40

well, im not saying I wont open her up and let her rip somtimes, all I really know is that it will spin at a higher RPM with the billet rod and flywheel alone ,and was just curious to know since it is coming close at about .007 th to coil bind if it was gonna survive any amount of RPMS THANKS AGAIN ,

Last edited:
.007 is a bit tight, there will be changes in that as the engine gets hot. You could possably cause some valvetrain damage at higher RPM's as things heat up and expand. I am trying to help you out the best I can. I am an auto tech, not a mini tech. I am sure someone with more knowledge will chime in to say I'm wrong.

bandit 40

Well at the least silent _bob I Really to appreciate your in put , because that makes alot of sence, and your aloud to have your own opinion . thank you sir....:thumbsup:

Not saying I'm right or wrong. But it is not uncommon for metels to expand & contract a few thousand's over there operating range. Maybe .007 is ok? Is this an OHC engine?

bandit 40

Yeah that makes sence....... even though I have valve lash caps, you are right It will ware quicker on the cam thanks Silent_Bob, sounds like heavier springs are needed:smile:

bandit 40

Well I broke down and placed another order with AGK today.I got the flatop piston with standard rings, I hope this is ok with that piston, and the 26pd springs, so I can use my 50$ cam and 1.2 rockers and ARC rod with the aluminum racing flywheel:smile: