Coleman CT 200u EX 2nd Test Ride

It appears your idle is set too high causing the clutch to engage.
- Back out the idle screw a half turn on the carb and see if your rpms drop. The black lever on the carb that controls the butterfly should be able to touch the idle screw. If its not touching then there is a problem with the throttle linkages keeping the butterfly open and increasing your idle speed. If it is touching the idle screw just back the screw out a little and your idle rpms should drop.

Stock engine CT200u EX's should be set to idle around 1750 rpm, +/- 150 rpms. If you are 500 rpms above that it will start to lock up.
Thanks I backed out that idle screw and it made no difference because that black lever isn't resting on that screw. I guess I'll have to dig deeper and try unhooking that light spring. I wonder if something come unhooked on the governor.

Mine would not idle down properly either. The throttle wasn't even sitting on the idle screw, so I ended up unhooking the light spring that connects the throttle plate to the govenor arm. Seemed to fix it, but I do have to give it a little throttle to start sometimes. Though, the kids haven't quite gotten the knack of a LITTLE throttle and have sent the bike off riderless on several occasions...
Unfortunately I don't think quality control on these machines is what it should be. I was looking for a parts breakdown. I'll let you know if I find anything. Thanks

Well we removed,cleaned, deburred,greased, and reinstalled the clutch today and it did make a good differance but the bike still will not set still on it's own while idling. I'm thinking maybe the governor maybe holding it open a little. Anybody have links to these Hisun engines. I've googled it but can't seem to find good info on these engines.
Any chance the clutch spring is weak?, biggest issue I've encountered on these clone engines is the fuel tank outlet filter not allowing enough fuel, or any fuel to flow out and down to the carb., The NOS 200u I just picked up the fuel wouldn't even flow out of the outlet, a little frustrating but I keep new replacements on hand, I had it up and running in no time....

Last edited:
If you haven't already,and before you go removing parts, unhook the throttle cable. Could be something a simple as it's not letting the carb return to the idle position.

SAS289

If you haven't already,and before you go removing parts, unhook the throttle cable. Could be something a simple as it's not letting the carb return to the idle position.
That's the best starting point. I'm still trying to figure out why so many people have this issue. The throttle assembly design for these clone engines have been used for a lot of years now. Even a pre Predator Harbor Freight engine has a nearly identical throttle assembly as what you see on the Hisun engine.

Last edited:
If the black lever is not touching the idle screw then on top of the metal throttle assembly there is a bolt that holds the throttle arm on. If that bolt is too tight it will not let the entire throttle linkage return to idle. Loosen it just enough to where you get full movement.

Charles posted the parts link above, go to: CT200U-EX - Regulating Control System to see the bolt I am referencing at the very top of the picture...

Also make sure your throttle return spring is not binding. I had to cut a couple links off of mine.

Mine would not idle down properly either. The throttle wasn't even sitting on the idle screw, so I ended up unhooking the light spring that connects the throttle plate to the govenor arm. Seemed to fix it, but I do have to give it a little throttle to start sometimes. Though, the kids haven't quite gotten the knack of a LITTLE throttle and have sent the bike off riderless on several occasions...
Hey Thanks for all the input from everyone, but here is a update and I hope it isn't too early. I put a Block in front of the back wheel and started the bike and it stayed against the block of wood, so i reached in with a long drill bit and pushed the throttle lever against the idle screw and the bike shut down. So then I readjusted the idle stop and got it to keep running but to idle down so the clutch wouldn't start to engage. To make a long story short I stretched that little spring that MJL talked about and now the bike is idling down just fine on it's own. Time will tell all tales. THANKS Everybody!

SAS289

Just a Thought! I'm running 93 Octane Ethanol Free and I'm wondering if that makes the bike run better than intended! Crazy thought!
I always thought it was odd that the tag on the Hisun gas tank says to run 90 octane or higher. You would think that an engine that has around an 8.5/1 compression ratio wouldn't need anything more than 87.

The guy in this video found out while testing his carb mod his exhaust temps are 40 degrees hotter using 92 octane. Since when did an unmodified clone engine require anything higher than 87 octane?

[video=youtube;iew9DCAZSK4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iew9DCAZSK4[/video]

Thanks MJL I have to laugh because I bought the bike NEW so I wouldn't have to work on more junk. I already have too much junk to work on. LOL But at least it prodded me to join this forum and meet some GOOD gear heads. LOL Back to my JUNK!
Well....mini bikes are so much sexier than my pressure washer,chain saws and leaf blower..:laugh: chainsaws being close second

Last edited:
Well....mini bikes are so much sexier than my pressure washer,chain saws and leaf blower..:laugh: chainsaws being close second
My passion at the moment is I need to work on a new-used Honda TRX 450 ES Forman ( 1999 ) It's going to be a Work Horse like Me to skid logs so I can use my Chain Saw to heat my shop. LOL