Comet 20 primary clutch

ELT

I have a comet 20 sieries clutch that has been on a shelf for a long time and is stuck. Any pointers on taking it apart? There are 3 allen screws holding the rear sheave on. If I remove them and get that sheave off will it come apart?

ELT

I took it apart today. The cover was swedged or peened on the the center rather than the cover all being held on with the bolt that draws it onto the crankshaft. I carefully ground of the rolled up metal that held the cover on and then pulled it apart. There was enough shoulder to hold the cover in place when I put it back togeather with a big flat washer like the other comet clutches have. The clutch had set somplace and held water in the cover and everything was stuck. I cleaned it all up and reasembled it on the bike and it seems to work. For how long I don't know. I need to find a 5/8 wide belt for a gilson, wards bike.

james c

if you guys have a grainger store then try there, if you end up changing the clutch, let me know as im looking for comet 20 series clutches