Comet 20 series belt spacer

I need to put a spacer on my Comet 20 but I'm not sure where it should be placed on the clutch. Any help would be appreciated. DSCN3834.JPG

The Comet 200836 spacer is used between the clutch halves. It is used to fit a wider belt. Without the spacer, the Comet series 20 clutch fits a belt with 3/4" top width. Using one spacer ( 1/8" thick ), the clutch can use a 7/8" top width belt. This is a common adaptation to use the Comet 20 on trail scooters like Tote Gote.

I think he needs a spacer between the rear sheeve and the sump cover to space it out a bit….just my opinion I like running them that way anyway….but it’s not mine so put one any where you want….

Last edited:
The Comet 200836 spacer is used between the clutch halves. It is used to fit a wider belt. Without the spacer, the Comet series 20 clutch fits a belt with 3/4" top width. Using one spacer ( 1/8" thick ), the clutch can use a 7/8" top width belt. This is a common adaptation to use the Comet 20 on trail scooters like Tote Gote.
Does the spacer go in the front of the brass bushing or behind it ? Have found out that a pulley clutch is used on the Pac Mule so I may not be using the Comet 20 after all. I am not sure the Comet would work with the shifting application.

Last edited:
The brass bushing will float over the spacer. The Packmule may have used a v-plex type clutch which didn't shift. I'm not sure I have ever seen an all original packmule.

The brass bushing will float over the spacer. The Packmule may have used a v-plex type clutch which didn't shift. I'm not sure I have ever seen an all original packmule.
Thanks for the info. It gives me somewhere to start. They are hard to find complete, that's why I have so much trouble finding anything about them. You have been helpful.