Convert 2hp B&S to pure ethanol

Hi guys,

I saw there looks to be a lot of knowledge about small B&S engines on here and I am wondering if someone might be able to give me some information.

For a class project we are converting an engine to run on an alternative fuel source and proving whether it is viable or not. We got ethanol ( yes, I already know ethanol sucks, but its for a class and I can't just tell the professor without proof) What we did was dyno the engine on gasoline first and will now be converting it over to run on ethanol and comparing results. We are taking into consideration fuel economy, hp, and tq

I am wondering if anyone knows:

-the jet size on the 2 hp engine ( someone ground off the model # so I can't say what model it is, but I believe it has the vacu-pump carb?)

It looks like this:

-I'm also wondering if anyone has any tips for the procedure of doing this. I am thinking we will need a larger jet, and colder plugs? Does anyone know where I can source these items?

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

Last edited:
Hmmmmm..........I dunno if they make speed parts to for a 2hp Briggs, let alone ethanol conversion parts. I wonder if anyone here has actually ever done it? :shrug: Sorry I can't help you out, but make sure you post pics and info if you get it done. :thumbsup:

yes on jetting,about 30% larger.
more timing.
horsepower will go up,but not much.
fuel economy will go down. more fuel is needed when running alcohol than gas.alcy has more oxygen molecules in it,so it takes more to make the same btu's.[i belive i have that right,could be the other way around]
if its the vacujet carb i'm thinking of, you may not be able to increase the jet sizes.

You can increase the jet size. Remove the adjustment needle and the jet is screwed in under it. The modle of your engine is 60102. Or at least thats what all the 2 hp golden boy engines I have. If you get into a bind with parts let me know. I have tons of parts for them. If your making a permanant change to the engine, I would just use a torch tip cleaner and gently ream out the existing jet a little at a time until you get it tuned right.