Cop

cop

What about a Mccullouch MC49MC for a mini? Any suggestions on my clutch, jack shaft, and rear sprocket tooth numbers for a screamer?

I'd go with a custom max torque clutch. The liquid kart clutches are just too expensive now. Jim Donovan can make just about any clutch you need and is very familiar with all two stroke applications and varying shaft sizes. He builds them to engage at the higher RPM.

Here is a link to a ratio calculator for jack shafts you can play with.

I don't know how much screaming you're going to get with that small engine. Keep the weight down on the bike definitely.

cop

Thanks for the great information. Shouldn't a 80cc five horse power two cycle engine geared correctly run pretty fast?

Its amazing those little engines make so much power. I can't wait to get my MC 45 back from Terry Ives. He's had it for about a year! I can't get mad at him cuz he's so nice though. Besides the Rupp Lancer still isn't ready. Terry says its a real ear drum splitter. So for minibikes I don't think I'd like one on mine. Minibikes shouldn't attract that much attention. On a kart its OK cuz you are on a track and you are allowed to be there.

2 Stroke Suggestoins

I did a 10HP Power Products years ago. Yes, your MC49 powered mini would scream especially when the RPM's climber into the power band. The front sprocket was a 9 tooth and the rear, I want to say was a 72 tooth. Top speed was just shy of 40 mph but getting there was an adventure. That 2 stroke had an open exhaust meaning a small aluminum deflector bolted to the side of the cylinder through which you could see the piston. Was tough on the right leg of my pants which would get soaked in oil.

Zingy little buggers. Peak power is great but they are a little high-strung for a single-speed mini, and a non-mini rider.
The bigger, softer tuned 141cc units have heaps more midrange.

Yup.
Just make sure its reed induction, has a steel rod and roller bearings.
Reeds are awesome, but plenty of trials bikes, commercial Lawn Boy and Fuji/Robin use mild port timing and have decent power curves. I still plan to add a reed cage to my Fuji so I can open up the intake skirt for demand-draw and underside cooling.
Old Sachs-powered sled aluminum rods are good forgings, seem to live forever and a half.