Cotmullion's scratch build Mk2

About 4 years back I made this:

And to be honest, it was build awfully. I had only learnt to 'weld' days before and the frame was made with little time spent measuring and virtually no weld penetration anywhere on the bike. I can't believe I rode the bike to a top speed of 22mph!

Fast foward to today and I am far more proficient in welding, fabrication and mechanics. So here's my second attempt:

Powered at first by a Suffolk Punch 2.5hp engine, then a Briggs 5hp flathead (rare as hens teeth in the UK), it rides much better than my first creation. And why not? It has a frame which I spent ages making properly, twice the horsepower, over engineered live 1" rear axle on machine pillow bearings (even the idler's on bearings too), comet clutch band brake and more controllable front rake.
I only first rode it with the briggs engine yesterday, so I haven't done a speed test yet, but it feels as fast as fudgenuggets! :laugh:. Definately 30mph +.

Here's some build shots:

looks good kid ...I like the little "swoop" in the single downtube....:thumbsup:

Thanks, glad you noticed. It was one of those subtle things you don't have to do but is worth the extra time for the end result. I cut about 15 slices through 3 of the 4 walls of the box section, curved it to shape and welded all the cuts up again, before grinding them back flush.

yeah don't cut that first one up or modify it or give it away...

when you get old like me you'll be glad you still have it for nostalgia sake....:thumbsup: