DB30 over oiled clutch?? Slipping now and never did before...

I've had this DB30 for about 2 years and never oiled anything. It drives great, and only use a few times a year. Today I decided to oil the chain with chain oil and used 10w30 oil on that small clutch bearing, but I spilled quite a bit of oil on that small area.

Do I have oil on the clutch shoes? It just doesn't seem to want to catch and is slower getting moving now.

Is it hard to get clutch out and should I just spray it with brake cleaner? Never took anything off this bike yet. I just want it to catch again.

buckeye

It will stink for awhile until the oil burns off. Maybe take it apart and clean it with brake cleaner.

And be more careful next time.:laugh:

Thanks. I loosened the bolts on the motor to slide it back, took the nut off the clutch by the front of the chain, and got it off.

1) I read warm soapy water will work to clean it if you don't have brake cleaner?

2) Should the shaft that the clutch slides onto have some oil on it?

3) How tight do you tighten the clutch bolt when re-installing, just until it touches the pinch washer?

4) How tight sould the chain be, just as far as you can slide the motor up?

Last edited:
I'd do brake cleaner or degreaser instead of soapy water. I'd tighten the nut down pretty tight. I don't know torque specs, but I bet you can find them. The chain should only have about a half inch of play.
I ended up making a chain tensioner with the stock tension wheel. I cut a piece of flat stock and drilled a couple holes. I found a good spring to stick on it. It's way better than the stock setup (my opinion). I'll try to snap some pics and post them up. You might want to whip one up as well.
I don't think a little oil on the shaft is too big of a deal. You could always wipe it off with a rag. Just make sure you get the keystock in there. I can't remember if those clutches have the built in keystock or not.

Ok, thanks.

I readjusted the chain a bit and put about 10 pounds in the rear tire and it's helped and I think the clutch is back to normal. It took running it for about 10 mine for the clutch to stop slipping and now it's much better.

1) My chain is a little tighter than 1/2 inch. Is this bad? What's the negatives to a chain that's too loose and too tight?

2) The black plastic roller moves now all the time with the chain. Before I tightened it, it didn't always move.

3) On the bike, there is sticker on how to clean the air filter. It says to clean with detergent, then soak the air filter in engine oil. Is this correct? The manual doesn't say this.