dilapidated Digger

markus

got up real early this morning a trekked over to Orlando to pic this beater up.

It's a 1973 JC Penney digger.....well it was at one time :laugh: Gotta give a full going over and work some numbers to see if it lives or dies yet but I always dug the fiberglass one piece tracker/trials/cafe style and have been wanting to do something like this for awhile. its usually to bikes I have a hard time customizing due due originality/value but this one :shrug:

Does still have the original comet TC and thankfully the correct hs40 with intake, the exhaust is right but needs a little love.

I bought one recently too. Can you take a pic of how the exhaust is connected to the engine? The only thing mine was missing was the exhaust and a carb. I have it running nicely. I have mine all ready to go, but my brake drum is warped or something and will not fit back into the sprocket at the correct angle since I installed new brake shoes. I'll try to post some newer pics on your thread.

markus

I bought one recently too. Can you take a pic of how the exhaust is connected to the engine? The only thing mine was missing was the exhaust and a carb. I have it running nicely. I have mine all ready to go, but my brake drum is warped or something and will not fit back into the sprocket at the correct angle since I installed new brake shoes. I'll try to post some newer pics on your thread.
Its a taylor muffler unit, actually the NOS one that ATK has listed on the classifieds section I believe is the same. These bikes just had the long extension end on them which is just braced with a U bolt on the frame. I'm thinking a '71-up Rupp exhuast would fit the bike pretty nice actually, the exit point would look better at least!

I'm thinking that Rupp parts could be doable for the brakes as well, These wheels use the same pattern as the 1970 Rupp wheels, may even be able to convert to the Rupp 40 size sprocket, which in my opinion would probably be better for the long length and movement on this setup.

I have a thought of using Bonanza MX/Azusa "spinners" on it which would drop the wheel size from 10" to 8" The original sprocket/drum would adapt if I had to reuse it (3.25" bolt circle pattern). I am packing up an MX to go to its new owner so before I wrap up and box the wheels and tires I'll see how the look rolled up next to the bike :thumbsup:

delray

nice markus........:thumbsup:
i have to get going on my bike someday. cousin had his decal guy make up all new stickers for my bike and extra's for another friends bike that he made copys from is survivor bike.

markus

yesterday before I wrapped up these wheels to ship out I carefully slipped them on to see if in fact they would work on the bike, they will :thumbsup:

I gonna try to come up with a good look for the originals though, since the bike did come with 2 brand new 10 tires. saving the chrome is highly doubtful but since they are the pressed steel spokes they don't look to bad properly painted.

if all else fails though at least I know I could make a set of spinners work.

Today I did get it to run. I had to put a new handle on the recoil but it had spark, I did up a makeshift carb out of some loose parts and got it to fire in idle and run on its own for a brief period anyway. No smoke or horrendous noises, will still tear it apart but at least I know its run-able :thumbsup:

I also spotted the frame tag under the spray bomb job. Tag has just about had it but I was able to read enough that this bike was made by bird. I wasn't real sure, it could pass for manco in some respects and even close to a fox that penney's used a couple years earlier.

Markus I got mine running and it will scoot. A lot of fun to ride with plenty of power. I'm going to have to order new tires. I had to put a new valve stem in one and a inner tub in the other.

markus

How is your kill sketch set up? Mine is wired to a motorcycle throttle grip with an on/off dial
stuff like that is non existent on mine, not sure what they used originally. My grips and throttle look the part size and age for the bike, but dont look like common mini bike used parts.

Hows the chain holding up? I am a little concerned about it staying put, I think the larger 40/41 would be better, I dunno if the gear on the comet can be changed though :shrug: Never had one of these bolt on TC assy's before.

I replaced with new chain and it has held well. Had to slide motor forward to tighten up, but no problems. Still using belt it came with. No telling how old. I took a wire wheel to rims and there about 60% good chrome, but look a lot better than the solid rust look they were when I picked it up. I also replaced the seat board. Going to make a chain guard as it's missing. It's got a lot of power.