dilapidated Digger

markus

Looking good. Are you gonna paint the fiberglass?
I dont know, for now financially I cant take it on...Its been a tough year. I would like to see it modified with a modern fork, use a Dellorto and straight pipe from a black widow, Rupp front and rear brakes, flat snap on seat pad etc.. But I cant afford to finish a few bikes as it is right now so I am just cleaning it all up and making it straight and solid for the time being. So it may just get shot in primer again after some work.

Last night I started the initial glassing repairs/fills on it. I moved the tank forward so I had to fill that hole (Its got one of those whizzer scooter tanks not the original) and fix the front mount point, couple holes and cracks etc..

I also went through and redid the comet, new bearings,cleaned, polished sliding surfaces etc... degreased the engine and got most of the spraypaint off it, new headgasket etc.. put it all back on and ran a chain all that good stuff:

this was funny, the end of the muff was all cobbled up with what looked like a homade screen I went to cut it off and found this is what it actually was :laugh: No wonder it was so heavy!

I ordered a replacement TAV cover (old style) for a the comet last night, hopefully it will retrofit onto this bracket. If I place an order with OldMiniBikes soon I will get that long steel fender for the front as well.

markus

Guess I should have started a project log on this, but I didn't think I would be working on it (I shouldn't be :doah:) As you can see in the above/last post from me the exhaust was "modfied" Plus I kinda thought the original location was a bit odd. I honestly would like to use 71-up Rupp exhaust but I'm not much of a hoarder of parts so I dont have any to try right now. No matter what the Taylor exhaust needed a new can welded on or something, so I stopped by the hardware store and picked up a long sink drain pipe and some other things and am working on this:

Not the greatest thing in the world, but its better than what it had I guess. right now I am playing with length, I am going to shorten it just a tad by cutting a slant or groove in the front so I can slip it farther over the header, and then get it all lined up and have a bracket/strap either off the shock mount or front the frame rail right above. I just need to make sure I space it enough to keep the heat and exhaust off the fiberglass. I am using a steel threaded coupler to take up the space between the chrome pipe and the header, I had to grind it down a little to make it a tight slip fit on the chrome the ID slipped right over the header and I will weld that to the header itself.

It's come a long ways. Is that a new brake drum? If so, where did you find one to fit? What model carb did you put on the bike? I have to order some new tires for mine. The front keeps going flat, even with a new inner tube!:scared: Must be some spurs in there.

markus

brake drum is still the original, I disassembled it, media blasted, cleaned etc.. its a really rough cast finish on the outside so I just sprayed it with some black paint. I'm pretty confident that a 1969/1970 Rupp brake could work, or the ones that some of the copy bikes like the sensation go devil and probably powerdyne cougar as well. of course the Rupp is probably the easiest to find.

Thats just a carb out of my carb box ( it needs a real rebuild its just thrown together to test with), I was looking at the original yesterday and it still rattles when you shake it, so theres hope for it. so its getting redone and see how that goes.

markus

Hey Simple, what did they use to hold the front of the fiberglass shroud on :shrug: This thing was just a beat up mess on the front so I reglassed it in the front. there is a tab on the frame but I am trying to figure out what went to the tab to hold it on.

I dont have much room right behind the tab though the tank is mounted to the frame and real close there (not a stock setup) trying to get the shroud ready right now:

Oh yea, I rode it last night :thumbsup: with just the open header as I haven't dug the welder out yet. its got a lot of low end grunt! I also ordered that steel long fender from OldMiniBikes this AM so I will let you know how it fits when it comes in :thumbsup:

Mine has a tab coming off the center tubing and a hole in the fiberglass. Just put a bolt and and washer there with nut behind the tab. On the rear section, it bolted up into the seat. I'd like to see the fender and how it looks. If you need any pics of mine just let me know.

markus

Just reread that you moved the gas tank forward. That's limiting space. Can you try a bolt that's just long enough? How are you holding your new tank in place?

Its one of those Chinese motorized bike tanks, it came with the bike, it just was not mounted. I brought it more forward cause i thought it fit better and I drilled a much smaller hole for the neck to slip through so when the cap is on its not as noticeable that its a tank under a cover. I think what I will do is just weld a nut to that tab then and just run a bolt through.

I had a pre fabbed mount bracket that was ceramic coated that was for bracing a supertrapp onto my Baja bug exhaust that I never used. it was a perfect fit for the pipe so I cut the tab down and just zipped it to the frame, I kinda stuck it in line with the shock so you dont see too much of it with the shroud back on the bike. and the pipe can still slide for engine/chain adjustment.

I think the nut welded on the tab would work great. I'm going to have to replace my gas tank also. Ive used the tank liner to fill any holes, but there is still a small leak somewhere. I have a new gas tank, but dont know how to fiberglass and hold it in place like the original.

markus

I think the nut welded on the tab would work great. I'm going to have to replace my gas tank also. Ive used the tank liner to fill any holes, but there is still a small leak somewhere. I have a new gas tank, but dont know how to fiberglass and hold it in place like the original.
Yea I saw a thread on another forum where a guy was resurrecting one and he showed the underside of the shroud, Looks like the just did a big X of fiberglass cloth to hold the original tank in.

I got the fender on, it fits good...kinda you do have to push it through the springs, its not a big deal and does not effect anything but if it was painted it may turn into a scratch-O-rama getting it on there. I bought a chrome one but the problem with it was it was peeling the shitty chrome off right out of the box on the edges :doah:

I did cut it down just a tad and curved the front and rear to make it look more like it shows in the catalog. I actually dug through some parts and found a plastic fender off a Fox/Dynamart that actually was a perfect fit, but it had holes drilled in it for a different style mount which woudl have looked odd. So maybe that one you were thinking about may be perfect if you trim it down a little.

Oh yea the welded on nut for the shroud worked fine, I drilled the hole in the shroud bigger than the bolt too and used a short spacer so it would bottom out on it and not the pinch the 'glass, also slipped a piece of rubber tubing over the spacer for vibrations, so far so good :thumbsup:

markus

Looks great. How does the pipe exhaust sound?

it sounds just like the Roadster2 I recently sold that had the optional Black Widow carb and open pipe installed.....just does not turn as many R's or have as much pull on the top end :wink: Its a cool deep sound, but it is a little loud for neighborhood cruising, its long enough that its not gurgling and popping or anything.

markus

So while this bike ran killer, it was puffing smoke more than a ragged out 2 stroke with a double dose of oil dumped in the tank :laugh: I knew when I took the head off upon fist cleanup it might be an issue as the cylinder wall didn't look great. but I figured Id give it a shot.....and it was a fail :shrug:

So last night I dug out form under my bench another HS40 that had come on a Bonanza I bought awhile back. it was probably off a snowblower, the crank was not drilled/tapped and it didn't have a throttle control. I had been robbing parts from it but I knew it was clean internally.

Bummer was I have to have a drilled and tapped crank for the TC so I yanked the engine off the bike and disassembled the 2 engines, crossed my fingers the the crank journals were not roached and swapped them out.

the old block and parts I didn't use off the white one:

I threw it all together early this morning, took the mechanical compression release off the cam that was in the white engine so it will idle better, lapped the valves, polished the journals etc.. It Looked like a piano with white block black sidecover and head so I wire wheeled real quick, cleaned it off and sprayed it semi gloss black. couple hours later my buddy Dan the Lil Indian man stopped by to pick up some parts/bike I was working on for him and he cheered me on as I set the timing, threw it all back together and bolted it on the bike ( I think he was actually waiting for me to get mad and throw my usual temper tantrum when something goes wrong :cursing:) But it fired right up and ran great!!!!! no more smoke :thumbsup:

So friggin hot down here the paint was dry and set quick so I didn't even bugger that up putting it back together :thumbsup:

markus

I found someone on here that has sold me the Digger gas tank decals. Should be here anytime.
yea Rick had said he had some :thumbsup: I am really cash poor right now though :sad: I did lay the color down on the tank today, I go to mix some clear up and the hardener went bad :doah: the only thing I could find in the cabinet was from an entirely different paint compay/line some of the ingredients were the listed as the same though so I tried it......I keep going out to check on it expecting to see it turn into a wrinkle coat paintjob :censure:

came out good other than a chunk of crap came out of my gun at a random time and blew some gray bits across the tail section, I said F++k it and kept spraying :laugh:

I tried a pearlcoat on this one, something I had never done before: